Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Over the last couple of weeks, 2 pigeons have been visiting my balcony...I kept scaring them away as I didn’t want to encourage them to hang around and possibly nest.

However, because I work long hours, it seems they have decided to make my balcony their home and consequently I now have a nest. I was about to go and clean it up and move the furniture around this morning and to my surprise I suddenly see a pigeon, presumably the female, sitting on top of two little eggs.

What do I do now? I’m really really don’t want the pigeons to stick around but I don’t want to "kill" the eggs.

Can I just let them do their thing and then once everything is over, clean it all up and "pigeon-proof" the balcony? Or am I stuck with pigeons forever?

Please help!

Thank You

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
We have quite a few people who have this "problem"............if you REALLY don't want pigeons there, then the best thing to do is remove the eggs, nest, etc....and like you said, "pigeon proof" the balcony and discourage the parents from returning.
This really is the only choice you have unless you leave things alone and let the eggs hatch, but, honestly, you're looking at about 8 weeks of dealing with the sitting parents, the hatching and the babies actually flying away, hopefully, at some point.
We all here realize that EVERYONE doesn't want the baby pigeons and the mess that they can create, so I would suggest removing everything ASAP. The longer they sit on the eggs, the more developed they get.
Now, if you WANT to leave the eggs, you can, but be warned. Once the babies hatch and are around 2 weeks old, the parents will lay another set of eggs, most likely, right there in the same area, so it's an ongoing process and at some point, you WILL have to destroy some eggs in order to get the birds to move on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts