Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 5 pigeons but i recently found a severly injure baby. it has a large open , nonbleeding wound on the back of its head and it cannot put weight on one leg plz help what should i do i cannot get it to eat either i have a syring with a latex cover so it can stick its beak in like a natural pigeon but he wont eat plz anything helps like what antibiotic i could use

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My main goal is to try and keep the wound from getting infected or if it already is to heal it i have no experience with injuries like this as all my pigeons in the pas have been healthy with no major problems.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
This is actually does not look too bad, unless you have never seen a scalped baby before, they can be much worse than this. Use a bit of warm saline to clean the wound (8oz of warm water, 1 teaspoon of salt) and gently pat dry with Kleenex (do this cleaning only once unless for some reason the wound becomes soiled, which should not really happen). Then cover the wound with a film of Neosporin, 1-2 times a day, in a month, if things go right, you will not notice that this injury took place. You can stop the Neosporin in about 7-10 days.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a pigeon named Stitches who was the victim of this type of injury as a baby (one of two I've had this happen to over the years . . . sadly the other one was much, much worse and there was no skin or such to 'stitch' back together). Dobato's advice is exactly what i did for Stitches. So if you can get 'im to eat you should have a happy healthy pigeon in a month like Karyn said :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

thank you both for the great advice i am going to try it right now but i was wondering what anyone thinks about the leg. It seems as if it is broken but the pigeon does not show pain when i touch the lower or upper leg so i am beginning to think it is the foot. does anyone have experience with this kind of injury.

thank you

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Going need to see some photos of what you are talking about, could be splay leg, hard to say without seeing. Do your best to have the photos well lit and focused, as better quality photos in these kinds of situations, are really best.

Karyn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts