Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, everyone. Joined the forums for this situation. A grey UK pidgeon (Unsure on specific breeds, general town dwelling pidgeon) was hit by a car and landed near me. His wing was hurt and he didn't look able to move around too much. He certainly couldn't get far off the ground. So I attempted to take him to places to look after him. The Pets at Home nearby said he'd be put down because he's a pidgeon, and the RSPCA were no help. Nowhere else is local so tonight he's in an open drawer with a towel under him, a small saucer of water and a few breadcrumbs here and there. He's sitting still mostly and grunts sometimes when I get too near for his liking.

I'd like to take care of this pidgeon but don't know what to do. Tame him? Bandage him up? Release him? I need help.

Please and thanks.

I've done some research and concluded he is a juvenile wooded pidgeon.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
On the site Skyeking has linked to there is also a map and list by county of (as far as we know) pigeon friendly rescue centres.

If on Facebook, you might want to join

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection/

which is mostly UK rescuers, several with a lot of wood pigeon rescue experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick responses! I will message them in a morning. What I have done is..

o Gotten the fledgling into one of my clothing drawers sat on a towel.
o Put rice into a sock, microwaved it until it is warm and placed it next to him.
o Got a small basin with rehydrating solution and set it with him
o Closed the drawer to allow him some quiet peace and darkness.

He grunts when I get a bit too close and is still giving me the watchful eye, he won't let me wrap him in a bandana. His wing is broken, I think. He still holds it out awkwardly a few hours afterwards, so it's definitely lasting damage. What can I personally do to help his wing?

Also he won't eat any bread crumbs, i've taken the crumbs out now due to a chance of him not being able to digest under this much stress, but could i get some advice on how to feed him food/solution if he continues to not eat?

Please and thanks
Mido

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi Mido

What could be useful here is a pic of the pigeon, attached to post here, or on a Facebook post (you've been added) to get a better idea of its age and the injury.

The grunting sound is what I would normally expect to hear from a feral pigeon, by the way.

What young wood pigeons seem to like is defrosted and slightly warm peas from a freezer pack. The page http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/peasandcorn.htm shows how to feed these to a pigeon. You could then leave some in a dish, too. They would normally eat, too, seeds and grain (wild bird seed, for example, as a stopgap).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts