Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone, I spent a couple hours yesterday trapping some very nice white pigeons that were "set free" at a wedding. I only had my cell phone camera since my son takes the regular camera batteries for his Nintendo. Anyway I am wondering what breed these guys would be considered

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3726729332/

Also one is looking down today, huddled, not eating. They were outside for a week with no food. They were easily captured by feeding them near an area i could net them. They have no meat on their keels. No bands and poop is stuck to their rears and green.

So i just bought some pigeon RX and haven't used it yet. I am not sure what is the best way to administer it? Under the wing? I put some tylan in the water today but I am not sure that's the best thing until i can get the vet to do some fecals for me.

Also I think I have decided to call the news channel. This is the 4th instance of people doing this in just the last few months. The one before this we got a call and 4 of these birds died en route to our rescue from starvation. One survived and I am pretty upset about this as a practice.

I doubt the bride knew that the birds she was setting free were sick, ill cared for and going to starve to death. Please if someone can provide me with some good background information or possibly allow one of our news folks to contact them as an "expert" I am willing to push for this but I don't considerable myself a pigeon expert by any means.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

PS we are having such a hard time finding them homes that I am just acquired a pigeon dove aviary. So they will move from the duck pens to their own pens where hopefully they can stay as long as they need too.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hello Everyone, I spent a couple hours yesterday trapping some very nice white pigeons that were "set free" at a wedding. I only had my cell phone camera since my son takes the regular camera batteries for his Nintendo. Anyway I am wondering what breed these guys would be considered

Also one is looking down today, huddled, not eating. They were outside for a week with no food. They were easily captured by feeding them near an area i could net them. They have no meat on their keels. No bands and poop is stuck to their rears and green.

So i just bought some pigeon RX and haven't used it yet. I am not sure what is the best way to administer it? Under the wing? I put some tylan in the water today but I am not sure that's the best thing until i can get the vet to do some fecals for me.

Also I think I have decided to call the news channel. This is the 4th instance of people doing this in just the last few months. The one before this we got a call and 4 of these birds died en route to our rescue from starvation. One survived and I am pretty upset about this as a practice.

I doubt the bride knew that the birds she was setting free were sick, ill cared for and going to starve to death. Please if someone can provide me with some good background information or possibly allow one of our news folks to contact them as an "expert" I am willing to push for this but I don't considerable myself a pigeon expert by any means.

PS we are having such a hard time finding them homes that I am just acquired a pigeon dove aviary. So they will move from the duck pens to their own pens where hopefully they can stay as long as they need too.
The practice of white release is not the problem, it is the people doing the release. they need to train the birds and keep them healthy. releasing homing pigeons is done all the time. folks who want this release just don't know a good one from a bad one. If the release person is a member of one of the societies, they have to follow their guidlines of conduct to use the name, so that is a good place to start to look for a good release person. now as far as the meds go, wait till you get the results from the vet and go from there, I would of not given anything untill then.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need to hand feed the bird that isn't eating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are hundreds of people keeping pigeons around here. I would be hard pressed to find the time to talk to each one of them. I am only interested in stopping a practice of these birds being left to die. People dont know when they purchase bird release services that these birds die. The person who resleased these obviously didnt want to be traced because he doesnt have bands on them. Even if i coudl find them talking to someone who is obviously unconcerned about the welfare of the birds probably isnt going to solve anything.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
There are hundreds of people keeping pigeons around here. I would be hard pressed to find the time to talk to each one of them. I am only interested in stopping a practice of these birds being left to die. People dont know when they purchase bird release services that these birds die. The person who resleased these obviously didnt want to be traced because he doesnt have bands on them. Even if i coudl find them talking to someone who is obviously unconcerned about the welfare of the birds probably isnt going to solve anything.
Like I said, it is not the service in itself it is people not knowing what they are doing and the birds suffer. just because someone does white release does not make them guilty of this kind of thing, there are many that have healthy homers that go home just like a racing pigeon does. As a white release person I take offense to the generalization. besides that of course your doing Gods work taking care of these birds and they need you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't recall every saying everyone who did releases was bad, I was targeting the specific person responsible for "these" birds. In fact I asked for help from someone who knew more about it than I did.

Please if someone can provide me with some good background information or possibly allow one of our news folks to contact them as an "expert" I am willing to push for this but I don't considerable myself a pigeon expert by any means.
I have good friends who do responsible white releases and care about their birds. So you just making an assumption that i planned to generalize anyone. I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be educated about this so they can make sure the person who releases birds is caring and knows how to do it the right way. Just as in everything revolving about animals there are good people and bad people. If I was buying a dog I would want to make sure the place was a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill. Until people know there is a difference they don't get a choice and the people who are doing this keep profiting.

If someone here is interested in actually answering any one of my questions instead of just offering critism I would really appreacite it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't recall every saying everyone who did releases was bad, I was targeting the specific person responsible for "these" birds. In fact I asked for help from someone who knew more about it than I did.

I have good friends who do responsible white releases and care about their birds. So you just making an assumption that i planned to generalize anyone. I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be educated about this so they can make sure the person who releases birds is caring and knows how to do it the right way. Just as in everything revolving about animals there are good people and bad people. If I was buying a dog I would want to make sure the place was a reputable breeder and not a puppy mill. Until people know there is a difference they don't get a choice and the people who are doing this keep profiting.

If someone here is interested in actually answering any one of my questions instead of just offering critism I would really appreacite it.
Your statement saying "you are pretty upset with this as a practice" made me think you were generalizing...sorry if I miss read your meaning and thanks for understanding my position:rolleyes:

As far as the birds go, they don't look like homers to me and I don't know what vet pigeon rx is, so I would get the fecal done and treat for the bacteria they have and deworm after, may want to give a break from meds in between. they should be kept in a dry enviroment away from your ducks. don't want the duckies to catch something or visa versa. I don't think you will have too much of a problem finding a home for them they are very pretty birds...we have an adoption thread here if you want to put them on there when they are ready.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have used Vet RX... and it was useless for me. JMO... Others may have had success... but I'm not one of them. You can use one drop ...I believe it is under their wings... The box has a leaflet... just be sure to read it thorugh.;)

Have you started the Tylan as precaution or is it for something specific that you noticied??? And what is the reason that you would use the Vet RX... resp?

Are you 100% positive these birds came from a wedding release?? Or could it be someone who is not educated enough in pigeon keeping and keeps buying pigeons thinking that if they let them out without training them that they will come back??? Could be the same person who just keeps buying new birds because the others never came home? Either way the person themselves need to be found. If it is someone who is new to pigeons... they just need to be educated on how to train and trap.

Also their vents need to be cleaned... you can use a kitty pan with some warm water to clean all the poop off. With your care that you are giving them they should gain weight with a steady supply of food. If they are not eating on their own, like Charis said you need to hand feed them.

post add: I thought I'd mention that I was using the RX for resp....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told there was a wedding there and they guy said they released birds. I spoke to the manager at the country club and talked to him about responsible bird releases. He wouldn't provide me info on the source of the wedding or birds (of course not) but he was very nice and seemed concerned for the birds health. I know the picture doesn't show but the birds have feathered feet that stick out. The one is black and white and the other one has the same spots but brown ones.

The pigeons are just run down and someone I talked to who raised pigeons said to use the pigeon RX because they use it after races when the pigeons come back worn down from the traveling and keeps them from getting ill. I haven't used it at all just curious about it. The tylan helps birds bounce back after they have been shipped and have been stressed and their immune system is down. I know several reputable breeders who use this method when shipping (i do not ship birds) I use tylan for other things like mycoplasmal conjunctivitis and find it safe and effective.

Since the birds aren't specifically suffering from anything like a respiratory problem I just feel they aren't "quite right" I thought it may help to perk them up before they start getting sick. Their immune systems are obviously down right now. That has a lot to do with the fact they are emaciated though.

The poop color is that of Bile so I cant really say that its parasites and would like to see what it looks like when they are back on solid foods. My vet is gone until Monday so I cant do fecals until then.

In general when birds are emaciated and starving we never just start hand "feeding" them. They need to be rehydrated and gradually introduced foods. I use a formula that doesn't require energy to process so they can get some nutrition without forcing their body to shut down to process it. Otherwise they can die from refeeding syndrome.

Sounds like I may not try the vetrx. I almost hate that i wasted some money on it. Maybe someone will chime in with some experience. I don't like using things unless I can get a good solid consensus that it works.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sounds like I may not try the vetrx. I almost hate that i wasted some money on it. Maybe someone will chime in with some experience. I don't like using things unless I can get a good solid consensus that it works.
LOL... that was my thought exactly after I bought it too.:rolleyes:..LOL

Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing... I am sure others will be along within the evening to help you out as well... I have a rescued squeaker feral..who was emaciated when he arrived too... its been 2 months and he has finally gained weight ... So I feel for you! and yes- rehydration is #1... Do you have spectraylite or any electrolyte solution you can administer? In a pinch you can do a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar....

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Considering those are obviously fantails/fantail mixes, they should have never been released in the first place! Those tails are a disadvantage when it comes to escaping predators or even flying in general, and they won't have nearly the homing ability (if any AT ALL) that REAL release 'doves' (white homers) do, to come home. Very irresponsible of the "fancier" who released them :mad:
If they were the right birds with a knowledgeable trainer, then nothing would be wrong with it.

I don't have much advice to give at the moment, but I do find it funny that people would use an antibiotic to get their birds to "bounce back" after a stressful situation. What they would need in that case, is probiotics, not something that would stress and weaken them further.

Anyways, that doesn't really apply to you, so I'll hush now :p

If I were you, I would hydrate them first with electrolytes, then put them through a dose of Tylan. It helps clean out a few different bacteria, and it's probably your best bet until a vet can see them. If they advise you towards something different, then you can just stop the tylan, give them a day of clean water, and try what they suggested.

If I can talk my dad into it, we might be able to come take a pigeon or two off your hands. If nothing else, to visit the birds. If there's anything I can help with (well...if there's anything left you don't have taken care of! :p), then I'm not far off :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use lactated ringer for rehydration. I guess I will just mark these guys as "Fancy Pigeons" in my log.

I am curious though how one can tell they are not homing pigeons?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Well, mostly because I've had homers along with fantails and other fancy breeds, for 7 years. So I've kind of gotten an eye for those things. In the picture, the one in the back appears to have a larger than normal tail. Does it normally hold it up at all, and/or does it look sort of fan shaped? Also, the head doesn't look right for a homer, and it looks like they might have feathered legs (well the one in the back)?

I wish you could find out who exactly these birds belonged to. I'd like to give them a piece of mind :mad: Just another thing to get people against keeping pigeons. Or releasing them period, even if they are homing pigeons.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
homers are athletic looking and do not have feathers on the legs/feet here is a pic of one of my homers for comparison...If I lived closer I would be tempted to give those two a home also...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they have shorter bills than my other pigeons. they have feathered legs and feet and they do "fan" their tails out. They are really nice looking birds I think. Rockwell isnt that far from here. I was just checking out the drive to the Tiger World place i think its up in Rockwell.

We are moving into a new place next weekend so hopefuly we will finalyl be able to have people visit on occasion.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sounds like they're at least part fantail then! Many people use them or mixes as display birds because of they're pretty tails. But then there are those who don't know any better and release them instead of just displaying them for looks.

We're not far from you at all. Just a quick trip up 85. And yep, Tiger World is up here in Rockwell :) We pass the road leading to it just about everytime we go to China Grove. I've never been there though. I just know when it was the Metrolina Zoo, we could hear some of the animals from my friend's house :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took some better pictures of them. They actually both have some different features. The black and white one doesnt have have the same shape beak as the brown and white one. They both have feathered feet and fan like tails.

this one shows the tail in the back

sweet face

The black and white one

·
Registered
499 Posts
green poopy bum

an active bird doesnot have poop stuck to its bum,,i rehabbed a ferral whose bum had to be washed a couple times,but he was very sick,and i did not have enough clavamox to keep treatment going,,after you get the test results back i would be appreciative of knowing the results my thinking was-crop,gi tract bacterial infection,disease,,,i have inside birds that went through sorta same thing-can,t/won,t fly,vomiting,gewy bright green-watery-poops/gi tract- bacterial infection,treated with penicillin-vk,with lots of rest,,survived,but thats what made me run short of antibiotics,,you can send a pm to t.a.whatley-very up on all this stuff,,sincerely james waller

·
Registered
499 Posts
relax

whoa,relax,.take a deep breath,,the main problem with text,.is it can be easily taken wrong,,turns into a war of words-.real easy,--.one can,t hear text,,we feel it as we read it,,so things can go amuck real easy,,try not to answer in kind or be offended,,,i believe this forum is to help people(help-pigeons),..let me know what the test results are,..sincerely james waller

1 - 20 of 29 Posts