Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just found an injured pigeon and I have no clue what I should do with it. I rescue cats and dogs. Never rescued a bird of any kind.
I saw "him" sitting at the bottom of a tree when I was walking my dogs and when my dogs came close he didn't move wish is odd. I went back later and he hadn't moved. While I was standing there a guy scared him so he tried to fly away but one of his wings didn't seem to function so he ran crocked in under a porch. I went home and got a carrier and some gloves and got him and now he's sitting in my back yard in the carrier. I don't want to take him inside if it will scare him more. He seems very scared.
I'm quite sure that the problem is with his left wing. When I came back to get him his right wing was up against his body but the left wing was spread out and laying on the ground. When I grabbed him he did flap both wings though. I had no problem grabbing him.

I don't know what to do with him to help him right now. Should I try to feed and water him? If so, what should I feed him? I don't have much at home and the store is closed. I read in another thread that dry cat food moistened in water can work. Should I give him that and water for now or should I just not give him anything and wait until the morning?
I also read that the bird should be in a dark place if it's in shock. Should I throw a blanket over the carrier or should I just leave it the way it is where he can see out through the door? I want him to be as comfortable as possible.
Should I take him inside or is it best to leave him outside? It's in the 60's and may get down to the 50's tonight. I thought taking him inside may be too frightening for him. I have cats and dogs and one of them may manage to get near his carrier and scare him even more. But I don't want him to be cold.

My next problem is what do I do with him tomorrow? I can't take care of him as I don't have the knowledge or the money. I've read that many wildlife rehabbers don't take pigeons as they are considered domestic. Is that true? I'm in Indianapolis. Does anyone know of anybody that can help in this area?
I would really like to see this bird rehabilitated and be able to live a quality life. He is a cute little guy. I just want to make sure I don't make things worse.

Sorry about making this so long. I just have so many questions. Thanks so much in advance.

-Novis bird rescuer in Indianapolis

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Bring him inside and put him in a room where the other animals can't go such as the bathroon or laundry room.
It would be helpful if you can post a picture. I'll see what I can do to find a place for you to take him in the morning.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Bring him inside and put him in a room where the other animals can't go such as the bathroon or laundry room.
It would be helpful if you can post a picture. I'll see what I can do to find a place for you to take him in the morning.
Ditto to this advice from Charis. Thank you so much for helping this pigeon!

Terry

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
The only place on Pigeon Talk resource list is Wildcare in Bloomington. What you can do is call them and ask for the name of a rehabber in your area that takes pigeons. Their number is ...812-323-1313
I'm wondering if you have a young pigeon that can't fly yet and doesn't know how to eat on it's own. That's why I would like to see a picture. Please check the bird over for injuries/wounds, once you bring it inside. Don't worry about frightening it. Does the bird make any squeaking noises?
Do offer the bird water and if you have bird seed, that as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much for your quick replies. I will take the pigeon inside as soon as I'm done writing this. I thought I would freak him out too much by taking him inside with new sights and sounds (birds can't smell, can they?).

Would it be okay to feed him some moistened dry cat food and some water?

Also, when I take him in should I cover the carrier so that he can't see out?

I have no idea if it's a young bird or not but there does seem to be something wrong with his left wing. I haven't looked him over closely, I don't want to scare him any more by handling him, but my best guess is that the wing is broken. I will take some pics of him so you can see what he looks like.

I found an avian and exotics vet clinic here in Indy and they do rehab birds but it seems to only be native birds. I'll check with them though to see if they can help a pigeon. It's a shame that they are being treated so different. Each bird, no matter the kind, is an individual and has a right to get care.
I would really like to see him rehabilitated but if that's not possible humane euthanasia would be better than leaving him in the street to be torn apart by cats.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It would probably be helpful if you could get a shot of the left wing, and maybe a shot from above, from the front that shows how both wings are being held. He may need to be rehydrated. To a cup of room temp water, a pinch or salt and a pinch of sugar are added. See if he will drink. Thanks for trying to help this bird.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
You sure can feed softened dry dog food. You can also feed him defrosted corn and peas... this would be if he doesn't eat on his own and so you would feed him by first putting him in your lap, opening his beak and placing pea sized pieces of food at the back of hi throat. You will need to feed 35-40 pieces per feeding. The bird likely won't eat dog food or frozen peas and corn on his own as he won't recognized them as food. Hopefully if you offer seed he will eat. You could also offer whole grain bread, in a pinch.
Do call the vet you found and ask if they are willing to do an evaluation. Please keep in mind that if they recommend euthanasia that we have found disabled pigeons adapt very well to becoming companion birds. Often vets are too quick to make the call. Please keep that in mind.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have a disabled rescue in my loft who gets around just fine. It would have been a shame if she had been euthanised just because she had broken a wing and couldn't fly. If this should become the case, we here on PT could probably find a home for your bird. Please don't let anyone put her to sleep. There are always people on here who are willing to take in another rescue. Keep us updated on how s/he is doing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for taking in this bird, it's very kind of you!
I have a completely blind feral dove and he's the best pet ever. He's learnt to eat and drink on his own and is an angel to have, I've been blessed to have him in my life. I agree with the others, give this bird a chance if at all possible. Thanks again for saving "him" :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I definitely want to give this bird a chance. Despite the wing issue he seems fine. At least I think he's fine. I know nothing at all about birds but he's standing up and has been walking around in the carrier. He's been pooping all over but I'm not sure what pigeon poop is supposed to look like to I can't tell if it's normal or not. I can't tell if he's been eating or drinking but he has moved the food bowl. I broke up the moistened cat food in small pieces to hopefully make it easier to eat. I'm going to see if I can get some pigeon food today. They would probably have that at the pet store, right? I'm going to Pet Smart today. Is there anyone that could tell me of a brand of food that would be good for him that they would have at Pet Smart?

Please forgive all my stupid questions, I really know nothing about birds of any kind, but I was wondering if pigeons can hear well? My three dogs are in the next room barking and I was wondering if the sound of predator animals would make the bird nervous? He seems to get scared when I come and lift the blanket up to look at him. He starts flapping his wings a bit which seems to get him off balance.

I really don't want to see any animal euthanized unless there are no other options. I would love it if a rehabber or someone else that is knowledgable could take him. Maybe he could be just fine as a pet. Unfortunately I can't keep him for very long though and I can't afford vet care for him. I don't mind having him here but unfortunately my husband does. He thinks I should have left him outside and if he doesn't make it then that's just how nature is. I disagree. There is nothing natural about people, pigeons and cats crammed together in a city. Humans created this, not nature.

I have to admit that I do find this to be quite interesting. I'm learning a lot of new things and it's not every day that you get to spend time with a wild bird. I'm also a bit scared of doing something wrong and harming the bird so please bare with me with my questions.

Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I knew absolutely nothing about birds when I found Noddy (I'm still learning), but with the help of some very fine people here and some reading Noddy is still alive and kicking more than a year later. There's a lot of info on these boards and people here are very friendly and helpful.

My husband didn't want anything to do with Noddy at first but now he's attached to the little guy, he even cried when Lucky our canary died. You never know, maybe your husband will have a change of heart. These little guys grow on you somehow!

I've learnt so much here, from books and from Noddy himself. Once again thanks for saving this little fellow, he (or she) is very cute!

Just be very careful when cleaning as some substances can be deadly to them. Candles, air sprays etc are a thing of the past in my house. Don't worry about asking questions, the people here are very helpful indeed!

About hearing, Noddy my dove has a very sharp sense of hearing(especially because he's blind, he relies on his hearing a lot), but I have noisy dogs and he's gotten used to their barking.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
You can get a Dove mix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got good news about Mr Pigeon. The avian pet hospital agreed to take him and treat his injury. Once he's better he will be sent to a wildlife rehabber for rehabilitation and eventually release. I asked what the risk was that he would be euthanized and the vet tech said it was very small as they only euthanize if the bird can't be rehabilitated or is suffering a lot. She thought my bird looked fine though and his prognosis is good.
I couldn't be happier. This is exactly what I wanted for the little guy/gal. If it's possible I believe that wild animals should stay in the wild and it looks like this pigeon will. From what I've read most wing problems can be fixed.
The vet hospital seems really good and the staff really cares about the wildlife. They told me that I can call to check up on the bird and I plan to do so. Hopefully I can find out which rehabber he goes to so that I can follow up. If he for some reason can't be rehabilitated maybe I can find a home for him here.

It would be pretty neat to have a pigeon but it wouldn't be in his best interest. I really found out how clueless I am when I tried to take him out of the carrier to exchange the newspaper and he started to flap his wings and I almost dropped him. I don't even know how to grab a bird properly.
I hope he will feel better soon and that he's not too scared being handled by all these humans. I'll let you guys know how he's doing. Hopefully I will also find out if he may even be a she. I'm so glad I found this place. You all have been very helpful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I hope all goes well for the little guy. If you follow up with him, please let us know how he's doing. I hope the best for him. Thanks for giving him another chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.