Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello pigeon lovers,

Need some advice please. I live on a 3rd floor small appartment in a block of flats in the city and last Saturday a pigeon flew inside and into the kitchen where I have a large mirror and took refuge next to it. It's a beautiful white coloured pigeon, I thought maybe it got lost or stuck so tried to let free; it wasn't scared at that time so was able to hold and let out on the balcony but it wouldn't leave the front balcony so gave some water and sesame seeds from bread and it did eat and drink a little bit but then it stood next to the front door and wanted to come in for hours so called a local wildlife protection number for pigeons and they referred me to a local rescuer/rehabber, following there advice checked for a leg ring which is nonextistent and no markings on the wings either so made him a box with newspaper till they can come round next weekend to pick it up which I'm happy to do as I work from home. Also that night I went round to my dads and picked up some of his budgie food and noticed it enjoyed some of the sunflower hearts.

Firstly the rescuer told me it's domestic male and to not let it out again is this true, and what type/breed of pigeon is this?
Yesterday I went down to a specialty bird shop and bought pigeon food from the versele laga brand, the shop owner told me it's for fancy pigeons. Sadly I noticed that he seems to only eat the smallest things anything wider than a sunflower heart like corn he picks up vibrates/shakes his head and leaves it again could he be sick, a very picky eater or badly trained?
I also put some apple cider vinegar with mother 5ml to 1ltr into his water as his droppings were dark green and very watery.
I'm worried for him as poops like 2-3 times an hour and seems healthier lately as started flying round the apartment and on to my tv but poops everywhere too, also seems to be wary and scared of me unlike the first day we met and if I get close sometimes will poop right there. The rescuer told me it's normal for recues to be this way is that right?

Wood Rectangle Wall Art Tints and shades

Bird Wood Grey Flooring Floor

Wall Chair Art Event Room

·
Registered
82 Posts
looks like a fancy pigeon, he must be an escaped pet, especially since he is just that friendly. If his droppings are green this could mean one of two things, ether he is not eating enough food or he has an e coli infection. make sure that he is getting enough food and water daily, hand feed him thawed peas if necessary. feel his crop throughout the day to make sure there are seeds in there.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Are you planning on keeping him or getting him adopted? He needs a high spot to perch. Find a spot somewhere on a cupboard, put some layers of newspaper down and a brick for him to perch on. If you put a mirror up there, he will spend most of his time up there (they love mirrors) and will be easier to clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies, this forum and youtube have been a big help.

looks like a fancy pigeon, he must be an escaped pet, especially since he is just that friendly. If his droppings are green this could mean one of two things, ether he is not eating enough food or he has an e coli infection. make sure that he is getting enough food and water daily, hand feed him thawed peas if necessary. feel his crop throughout the day to make sure there are seeds in there.
It's definitely more complex than I realised as on the first day he seemed vulnerable and possibly too fatigued to even complain about me getting close picking him up but now that he's a lot more active walking and flying around my flat and protective with his food and punched my hand away one time :LOL: He doesn't let me pet him or pick him up maybe I lost that trust somehow but when I hold up his small jar of food he'll walk over and eat from it, I think we're at the beginning stages of trusting each other.
I'm actually confused about the droppings tbh, he poops a lot which I now learned is normal about every 15 minutes, the colour and consistency varies quite a bit. The first 3 days he only had access to budgie seed mix which wasn't ideal and he only really went for the sunflower hearts but now with the various pigeon mixes, peanuts, crushed peanuts, red grit, mixed shell grit he really is eating a lot more and yesterday his droppings were mostly brown but today I noticed he must've eaten some of green the peas as well and some of his droppings were green so is this normal or should his droppings always be brown?

He was starving when he flew into your apartment and thats why he was acting tame.
I think you are right.

Are you planning on keeping him or getting him adopted? He needs a high spot to perch. Find a spot somewhere on a cupboard, put some layers of newspaper down and a brick for him to perch on. If you put a mirror up there, he will spend most of his time up there (they love mirrors) and will be easier to clean.
Yes I noticed he loves the mirror and have included it next to his cage which I built him like a 70 x 60 x 60 cage out of some double ply cardboard and with a large window and door and have now placed it up on the hallway cupboard where he has chosen as a perch spot, he gets some natural light there and likes to fly back and forth from the living room TV so I put some newspaper behind the TV to catch his droppings. I've been considering keeping him but I wonder if he'd have a better life at the recue aviary where he might find it more peaceful in the countryside also might pair up with another birdy, what do you think about this?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If you can get him adopted, then yes. Just make sure the rescue centre have room for unreleasable pigeons. First go check their setup. If they have aviaries with pigeons, then you know he will be ok.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi I see your in London? I volunteer for london wildlife. You could contact them on facebook if you need to find a home for him. We have a few members who have aviaries for domestics and unreleasables. The green poo after him eating peas is normal but as mentioned by someone before the first ones were probably starvation poos. Normally poos are more brownish but its normal if he ate peas as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry to say hes left us flew right out the front door as we were coming in :cry: he was sitting on his perch in the living room when I checked next thing he's flown right out. Had given him a bath at lunch and he had his favourite chopped peanuts too. Do you think there's a chance he might come back I've left his treats on his tray that he likes and door open?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts