Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have had a found pigeon, a red splash roller, for about a month and a half. After a visit to the vet for check-up and no claims from advertising a lost pigeon I get to keep it till he is claimed. I built a nice two nest box loft, ordered a hen, and let him fly twice over the past two weeks and to my surprise he returned home and got back into his loft.

My question now as I am just learning. He is molting and has over 2/3rds of the time I have had he's been losing feathers. Obviously replaced because he looks so much better. This last weekend I thought that he worked rather hard at flying when he left. Should I not fly him while molting? Is there a time I will know it is better to let him go. I want him to be agile and safe when flying.

BTW, I have never seen him roll. Is that a bird/gene problem or a ME training problem? Will his offspring have a chance of rolling even if he does not?

Thanks all, I have learned a lot here. I need all the help I can get.
If anyone is in the Merced California/Central Valley area let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information, but I did want to post a couple of pictures so I can get confirmation about breed etc.

I will lock him down for a while. I have ordered him a mate as well.

You will note a blue band on this bird. There is no mark or writing on it. He also had a small piece of red electrical wire attached to his other leg, but that was removed by me.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.