Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am an exchange student from the USA that is studying abroad in Argentina. Today, we found a small bird in the corner of our front porch area, and came to find out it was a pigeon. I left it in the front yard for about 2-3 hours, only coming to find out later that it is not normal for young pigeons to leave the nest....so...I have adopted it.

I was given some syringes at the local vet, bought some type of bird food, that is very small in grain. I tried mixing the grain with water, and feeding it to the bird through the syringe, and then tried the trick with the cloth over the end, and have not had much success, if any, at getting the little fella to eat... It was not hard to catch it, it practically let me pick it up. It actually just sits in my hand and then closes its eyes like its going to sleep. The same when I have it in the box. I don't know if its just weak, or if it likes the heat of my hands....

I need to know what I can do to help save it's life... I am going to put some pictures up as well.

The bird does not appear to be injured at all, and I'm guessing is about 15 days old??

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What a good soul you are Adam.
We have a member in Argentina that may be able to help you. I'll go find her contact info.

Leave her a message and how she may contact you.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/member.php?u=14825

It looks to me like you have a dove and I know she has raised a few.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe. Thanks....Is there some general information though that I could do for tonight? I would hate to wake up to a dead birdie in the morning.. :( I have put a light over the box, as well as a water bottle with warm water....the bulb is one of the energy efficient bulbs, and I'm not sure how much heat it actually emits...

Thanks again :p

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You should feed it if the crop is empty. I don't know if you know what the crop is so I will expalin it. The crop is where a bird stores it's food. The crop is located above the breast bone and underneath the throat. When there is food in it, it fills up like a little baloon. I'm guessing that the baby in your care would hold about 5-7 ccs of food.
Never add food to acrop that arleady has food in it because doing so can cause a bacterial infection which is often deadly without antibiotics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some research on the crop already, and as far as I could tell, there didn't appear to be anything in the crop. I'm having an issue however, feeding it... Do you think that at it's age, I could feed it corn and peas, like I read in another post??

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You little bird should be kept warm and its lethargic because of needing food and water but only give these things to it when it is in a warm state..For now until better things can be got later--wrap it in a kitchen towel around its wings to control it not tight and put your wet fingers on each side of its beak slowly when it opens it mouth put a small quantity in its mouth and observe that it is not coughing or choking or anything like that--it needs liquid but that is in the food that you mix that the vet gave you ---Did the vet hydrate the bird for this bird sounds like it needs some liquid and you can dribble water with your finger on the end of its beak and be patient and try to get that food in the bird little by little under it can be stabalize for the night..You need to feed the bird every 3 or 4 hours little by little--do not overfed it--but it needs a good amount...Only feed warm food and warm water and make sure the bird is kept warm at all times 85 to 90 degrees but the most important thing is to keep it hydrated with the warm heat. Only feed it when it is warm and feel the crop to make sure it is ready for another meal sort of empty feeling---the best that I can do to help you get it through the night...Please keep us posted and there will be other people coming on this thread to help you.. There is a good webpage to acquaint you with bird feeding: http://pigeonrescueuk.webs.com
and I hope this helps ---please keep us posted on the birdie and if you have any questions....c.hert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some more photos....It is not old enough to perch on my finger...but almost. It was kinda perched, but was wobbly, and I had to help it balance. It seemed to flap it's wings pretty well, as well.

The only things that worry me are that it always seems to want to close it's eyes...and the fact that it wouldn't take any food. It also doesn't make any noises...which may be from fear...I'm not sure exactly..

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Feeding

I didn't actually take the bird to the vet with me. I only went to the vet to get a syringe. I had a problem with the syringe though, because the mixture I created would not pass easily though the syringe, because they only had small ones...I will go down to try to get it some water, although, I am having the issue of it not wanting to open it's mouth... It has a few times when I have tried to feed it, but I get nervous because some of the liquid seems to run on the top of its beak over its nostrols, and I don't want to get water in it's nasal passage...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you feel food in the crop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi C.Hert. I saw your reply, but what was misunderstood is that the Vet didn't give me any food, nor do I think he had any. I was advised to go to a store that sold food for pets, and the best thing I could find was a cornmeal-like seed for young/small birds. I mixed this with warm/hot (but not real hot) water, to make a liquidy paste. However, the mixture always would clog up the syringe. I then tried the method with the cloth over the syringe (with the end cut off) but the bird did not take anything. I will try to keep giving it water, but I doesn't open it's mouth at all, and I'm not sure how to get it to open it.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Read the above post before the picture and no you don't want to get water in its nose and you can dribble water into its mouth little by little but if you have the proper food it can be made with water in it for now--but the bird must be kept warm a hot water bottle with a towel over it or a heating pad with a towel over it and a towel maybe over the box to keep the heat it and maybe towels made like into a little nest around it--Keep it warm because if you don't it can't digest its food and it could get sick from the food...Please post on what you are doing now with the bird ...c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Do you have any bread crumbs or hard boiled eggs or oat cereal or cream of wheat to make the mixture a little bit thicker ---what do you have---not too thick---don't overdo the water right now---mix it with the food to give---little by little and you will get the birds beak open with practice ---post back---Is the bird warm---look at those webcites one of them thehttp://kjcii.webs.com/handfeeding.htm has a real good receipt in it. Look at that...c.hert

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Adam...the bird doesn't know you are trying to feed him and so he doesn't want to cooperate. You need to gently open the beak with you fingernails...put you index finger between the top and botton beak to keep it open and then put small amounts of food at the back of the mouth over the throat. Pretty soon the baby will get the idea that you represent food. You can also go to the store and buy rice cereal for human babies and mix that with warm water to make a formula. Best go back to the vet and get a syringe that holds 3 - 6 ccs.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
c.hert...that won't work with this baby because it's wild.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The last feeding method you gave a link for.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Actually Adam...you could try defosted peas. That might be much easier. You probably will need to sheel the peas and feed half pieces rather than whole because this is a small baby bird.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't understand this is a wild baby pigeon why won't that work? What food item doesn"t work for I fed wild baby pigeons here and it worked but the main thing is the rice cereal and water will work and oatmeal and water will work---what won't work? c.hert

1 - 20 of 67 Posts