Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have two baby pigeons on my balcony, they hatched on 2nd of July and two days ago they started to fly around staying on neighbours balconies. I am very sure their parents stopped feeding them since few days ago as they refuse to feed them through mouth as before.

This morning I found that they both came back to the balcony and probably they did not eat or have water for the past two days because they were just sitting on other neighbours balconies. I give them food and water but nothing, I think they dont know how to eat or drink on their own, and when they used to see their parents few days ago they used to make the baby sounds asking for food. what to do now? I really dont want them to stay on the balcony because they will die from starvation and lack of water.

thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If they are a month old, they may be self-sufficient, and not need mom and dad. They usually are weaned once they are flying on their own. Are you sure you haven't seen them eating or drinking? Maybe they are eating and drinking somewhere else, the dad usually continues to look out for them after they are fledged, maybe he is still feeding them somewhere else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent seen the parents for the past two days, I stay at home all day and they are infront of me outside in the balcony.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Hi,

I have two baby pigeons on my balcony, they hatched on 2nd of July and two days ago they started to fly around staying on neighbours balconies. I am very sure their parents stopped feeding them since few days ago as they refuse to feed them through mouth as before.

This morning I found that they both came back to the balcony and probably they did not eat or have water for the past two days because they were just sitting on other neighbours balconies. I give them food and water but nothing, I think they dont know how to eat or drink on their own, and when they used to see their parents few days ago they used to make the baby sounds asking for food. what to do now? I really dont want them to stay on the balcony because they will die from starvation and lack of water.

thanks
This is the time they follow the parent birds and learn to find food and water. If they do not drink they will not live past three days, so I think they are being normal fledgling pigeons. The male parent has weaned them. They may get just one feeding in the evening when they fly off its easy to miss if they are elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They flew away to the neighbours balcony for few hours and I just saw them come back again to my balcony to spend the night again, I put food and water for them but they dont eat, only their parents keep coming to my balcony eat all the food and then leave, I see the babies make the noise and try to eat from their parents mouth but they dont let them and just ignore them, keep eating the food I put and then fly away.

I dont think their parents fed them at all, anyway I will let you know in one or two days if they still alive ill then

many thanks all

·
Banned
569 Posts
They flew away to the neighbours balcony for few hours and I just saw them come back again to my balcony to spend the night again, I put food and water for them but they dont eat, only their parents keep coming to my balcony eat all the food and then leave, I see the babies make the noise and try to eat from their parents mouth but they dont let them and just ignore them, keep eating the food I put and then fly away.

I dont think their parents fed them at all, anyway I will let you know in one or two days if they still alive ill then

many thanks all
They are weaned so they are not being fed any longer. I'm sure they have been eating, it's easy to miss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all, I think they are ok now, they just come at night and sleep on the balcony then leave all day. probably like you said they are learning how to fly and eat with their parents.

thanks all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys, just another question, why the baby pigeons keep coming every night and sleep on the balcony, will they do that forever or is it just temporary?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Guys, just another question, why the baby pigeons keep coming every night and sleep on the balcony, will they do that forever or is it just temporary?
If that is where they were raised, that is why they are still there. Eventually they will mature and move on with the flock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts