Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello you fantastic community!

Just looking for some recommendations for prevention of beak over growth. Our laughing dove is (now) a great layer and sitter so she can be a bit sedentary. Vet says she's a good weight but I worry about her beak overgrowing. Our budge is easy he loves to chew on some native sticks and grasses, the dove however is completely different (obviously)

I'm after some recommendations of things like surfaces and foods that may help prevent beak over growth, prevention is the best cure as they say. she has a sand box that I put seed in for her to peck around but maybe we need more variety? Also any cage set up recommendations would also be great.

Thanks everyone in advance

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi! Have you ever heard of picking blocks? Some of my birds love pecking directly at them (others just eat the crumbled one that I leave available in a bowl).
If your bird will peck at it, It could help to wear the beak down in a natural way. In addition, they are good sources of calcium. Depending on what you buy they could contain many other ingredients like anise, clay, minerals, insoluble grit, etc.

If you buy one, just leave it available and see if she pecks at it (give her some time, birds eat it just when they feel they need it). In the negative case, you can cut/crumble it and leave it available in a bowl.

I attach a few pics so you can get an idea of what you should look for.

Also, be careful to sedentary lifestyle because it could cause different issues (like egg binding because of poorly muscles development, etc).

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Have you ever heard of picking blocks? Some of my birds love pecking directly at them (others just eat the crumbled one that I leave available in a bowl).
If your bird will peck at it, It could help to wear the beak down in a natural way. In addition, they are good sources of calcium. Depending on what you buy they could contain many other ingredients like anise, clay, minerals, insoluble grit, etc.

If you buy one, just leave it available and see if she pecks at it (give her some time, birds eat it just when they feel they need it). In the negative case, you can cut/crumble it and leave it available in a bowl.

I attach a few pics so you can get an idea of what you should look for.

Also, be careful to sedentary lifestyle because it could cause different issues (like egg binding because of poorly muscles development, etc).
Thank you so much for this. I am a bit worried about her sitting so much but they are free flying in the house so they aren't caged unless its absolutely necessary. The set up is more for the budgie as we had him first so its our mission now to make it just as much her space as his. The pecking block is a great idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts