Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! So I got the medicine my baby pigeons need. I have 50 mg pills of metronidazole. I also have two syringes with 2 ml of 100 mg/1 ml metronidazole. Now I need to know how much to give them in a dose. Both babies weigh just under 300 grams. I am treating them for pigeon canker. One has the yellow/cottage cheese stuff in his throat and is having trouble, the other has no sings but I need to treat anyways.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
This is the drug chart that I use, I think 1/4 of the 50mg tablet twice a day should be OK:

METRONIDAZOLE (Flagyl, Torgyl, Stormogyl)

Dose 20-50 mgs per kilo BID or 40-100mgs per kilo OID (Once daily)- 14 days.

In very rare cases, liver damage can be caused by prolonged use over 14 days - but it is very rare and one must balance the risks.
If maintained for 14 days or more it is highly effective against a severe infection of trichomonas gallinae and in preventing an inside recurrence- (not reinfection from an outside source, ie another bird).
Used for anaerobic, (flushing deep wounds), and protozoal infections. Can be given concurrently with Amoxy and Trim Sulphas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I everything i found was 25-50 mg.. which is a big range and seemed to be aimed at adults, not babies. I have been sitting here frantically trying to find something that would tell me what to give a baby. Can i just pop the piece of the pill or do i have to crush it up and mix it with water?? Should I give it to them on an empty crop or full? Can i give them the medicine and then feed them?? That was my plan.... I'm sitting here waiting for a reply before i do anything :)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I can't find any information on whether metronidazole should be given on a full or empty crop...but carnidazole is given on an empty crop. However, I would start treatment as soon as possible rather than delay while the crop empties, then give the second dose on an empty crop.

Cynthia

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Melissa102787,

Pills can be broken into parts of proportional size to dose, desired parts then given orally...opening the Bird's Beak and putting the pill part into their throat so they definitely swallow it...making sure they do not count to ten and then spit it out, which they can do!

Metronidazole probably is best with or after a meal...and even at that can sometimes occasion a little throwing up.

If already tube feeding a Bird, may as well dissolve the pill or pill part in the Syringe first, with a little Water...then once dissolved and well shaken, draw up some formula, shake to distribute, and draw up the rest of the formula and feed.

ACV helps Metronidazole work better...

At 300 Grammes, these 'Babys' will be fine if dosed as 'Adults'...

Dose by weight anyway for this, regardless of Age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts