Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get a new cage for my dove. He's living on a small one right now (in cms: 44x25x20), and he doesn't exactly like it.
Can you show me any idea for a cheap indoors cage? I don't want it to be too hard to make either because I'm horrible at this kind of stuff. But if it's really cheap, show it to me anyways xD. I'll need a step-by-step guide though.
I loved the idea of the NIC cubes, but I don't have them where I live. I'm going to try to find something similar, though. But I need a backup idea if I can't find something like this.

Also, I'll move into an apartment soon, I guess. Which would be the smallest size in which he could spend a morning alone? Right now he spends it on this cage because there are no other options (unless leaving him all morning outside unsupervised counts) but I'm hoping to give him something he can put up with without totally hating it, although I know he'll never like being cage, naturally.

G

·
Go to your local pet store and get a rabbit, parrot cage they may even have a dog crate all pet stores do you could buy an out side dog kennel and put up it will run you about 200 maybe

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Well, you have more of an idea what they do have there than anyone else. Can't believe they don't have dog crates. Maybe you could build a wooden frame and cover it with hardware cloth. Use your imagination.

I don't know how big your cage is in inches.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't even know where to begin, with the wooden frame and all. It was what I was originally planning to do, but I've done some research on it and apparently it has lots of things that I never noticed I needed, and I really don't know how to do them :/. I'm asking because I've seen neat ideas, like the crates and the cubes but here there aren't any of those. I've been visiting plastic stores and such but I haven't found anything suitable yet. I still have a couple of places I need to visit before giving up, but...

Yeah, now I can't believe we don't have crates either, but when I first read about crates it seemed like something unnatural. I mean, a dog in a cage? I was like "whaaat?". Here most people let their dogs loose on the street, so the idea isn't exactly popular xD. So most stores don't carry them. And since I live in a small city, forget about it here xD.

That would be: 17.7" x 9.8" x 7.9" aprox. Sorry about that, I forgot about the conversion thingy.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If the cage will never be used outside (so doesn't need to be predator proof), you might find it easier to work with plastic netting or wire shelving. You can check second hand stores, housewares departments, and office supplies for materials and ideas.

We made a large cage frame out of PVC pipe and use plastic zip ties (wire ties) to attach plastic hardware cloth as the sides. Light weight and easy to clean.

·
Registered
341 Posts
One 100 foot roll of welded wire 4 feet wide – I in X 1 in welded wire
I took the roll and cut three 15 feet long strips. I then cut one in ½ making two 15 feet long X 2 feet
One 15 X 4 foot strip was for the bottom and one for the top. I then took one 15 X 2 foot strip and placed it in the middle. Took the other 15 foot strip and cut off two strips 4 feet each. Placed them on each end, I then took the left over wire and cut 2 x 2 foot strips this was placed every three feet.
I now have a cage that has five sections on each side (total 10 cages)
I then made the front cage area with doors. Made from the left over wire
This was all placed on a stand I made that is 16 feet long, 3 ½ feet off the ground (or so), with a roof.
The entire project was under $300.00
I will post some pic’s tonight

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
One 100 foot roll of welded wire 4 feet wide – I in X 1 in welded wire
I took the roll and cut three 15 feet long strips. I then cut one in ½ making two 15 feet long X 2 feet
One 15 X 4 foot strip was for the bottom and one for the top. I then took one 15 X 2 foot strip and placed it in the middle. Took the other 15 foot strip and cut off two strips 4 feet each. Placed them on each end, I then took the left over wire and cut 2 x 2 foot strips this was placed every three feet.
I now have a cage that has five sections on each side (total 10 cages)
I then made the front cage area with doors. Made from the left over wire
This was all placed on a stand I made that is 16 feet long, 3 ½ feet off the ground (or so), with a roof.
The entire project was under $300.00
I will post some pic’s tonight
Great. I would love to see pictures. Sounds great!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Depends too on what kind of Tools and experience one has, and or what kinds of Tools and experience one's friends or family has.

One design I like, is to cut a top and bottom out of 1/2 or 5/8ths Plywood.

Round shapes, or round-corner rectangular or square shapes are best.

One then wraps these in 1/4 inch schedule Wire Cloth, Stapling it to the edges of the Top and Bottom..."Instant Cage"

Lastly, one cuts out some small pieces of 1x1 Pine or other, frames for a Door, staples these in, cuts out the opening, and makes a little Door itself, mounting it with Hinges and a Latch.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
There ya go Pawbla. This would work for you. With this, you could build it any size you want for an indoor cage. For outside, I'd have to cover it with hardware cloth with smaller openings. But a great idea.
Thanks for sharing the photos.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
but can she get wire there, no dog crates, parrot cage too much, can't make a cage..... lets hope this is the answer..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts