Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the Hen i bought from a breeder. He says it is a west of england tumbler...but the crest on her head makes me somewhat suspicious. Can anybody please confirm her breed??:confused:

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is the Hen i bought from a breeder. He says it is a west of england tumbler...but the crest on her head makes me somewhat suspicious. Can anybody please confirm her breed??:confused:

That's definitely not a pure WOE. It looks kind of like a WOE but it's definitely crossed with a different breed.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's definitely not a pure WOE. It looks kind of like a WOE but it's definitely crossed with a different breed.
At least now i KNOW she isnt pure.. what do you think she is mixed with??

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That is a Russian Tumbler! Nice looking bird too and I LOVE the almond color. Look up the National Russian Tumbler Club.....I think the are in Mass. They are a great breed.....fancy to look at and they can even fly a little bit. They are also decent parents. I raised them many years (decades) ago and still have a fondness for them. Get her a nice Russian Tumbler mate.......preferably a Kite although a rec. red would also probably work. NIce bird!! Take good care of her!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Are the other ones behind her yours or was the photo from the breeder? It looks like a nicely kept bird......I am surprised the breeder did not know what breed she is!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yup...defintately a Russian Tumbler.....only because I used to reaise them. The pearl eye and slightly shorter beak are characteristics of the breed. When I had them I had all self colors White, black, dun, andalusian, rec. red and rec. yellow. I really like that bird there a lot. Nice little breed.....I am always surprised they don't have more of a following than they do though there are some dedicated fanciers.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a Russian Tumbler! Nice looking bird too and I LOVE the almond color. Look up the National Russian Tumbler Club.....I think the are in Mass. They are a great breed.....fancy to look at and they can even fly a little bit. They are also decent parents. I raised them many years (decades) ago and still have a fondness for them. Get her a nice Russian Tumbler mate.......preferably a Kite although a rec. red would also probably work. NIce bird!! Take good care of her!!
I will definitely look into the breed thank you a lot woodnative! Unfortunately I only have thw red english tumbler for her mate I dont know where to get another russian tumbler. I hope that doesnt bother anyone ill be mix breeding...
All the pictures are the breeders pictures not my own. Although she IS mine along with a red WoE. I dont know what their babies will look like or if anyone will even want them now...but youre right she os a great bird and im proud to have her.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just want to fully confirm She's a Russian Tumbler,Crest kind of doesnt look full enough? IDK..can anyone give a good opinion on her from a show standard point of view?
I was even thinking of breeding and raising my tumblers for show AND performance...i think theyll be more valued that way.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Chris, Do they tumble or just for show

Kindizon, Nice to hear you are keen on getting them to show standard aswell as performance standard. Hopefully they tumble so you have something to work with without making a cross.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris, Do they tumble or just for show

Kindizon, Nice to hear you are keen on getting them to show standard as well as performance standard. Hopefully they tumble so you have something to work with without making a cross.
NZ Pigeon,Hopefully. I was thinking of picking up some tips from Roller breeders about hand claps and rolls..mayybe i could get the offspring to tumble in response to hand claps.... And ill have to keep them on a racers diet to keep them fit enough to fly. I dont want any show "chicken-pigeons" walking around my loft being lazy. I realized that if i truly love these birds, i have to do my best to bring them to their somewhat former glory of a performance breed.
Maybe it's just me,but i think that love is a major factor in not only the development of the pigeon,but the quality of it and its offspring...then again i have never raised a pigeon in my life so ehhh:rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Your last statement is bang on, The pigeons are smart, They respond to care and love by doing the best at what they can, I believe they like to please, Just like a good dog or horse.

With regards to the diet, A performer rollers diet seems to be best to be around 50% wheat, 50% sorghum, some use barley in place of wheat and you can play with those variations but don't give more than 50% sorghum, so only increase the wheat and take away the sorghum, A racers diet will give you strong, fast flying birds and even the best of rollers can "not roll" due to the wrong diet.

I sometimes clap and my rollers roll but I do not think it will make a bird that does not have the ro gene roll. Possible as I believe lots of things with pigeons are possible but unlikely, Maybe a cross ( if the do not roll ) would be less time consuming and more rewarding, If you have 10 years to dedicate to it, With some understanding of the genetics it could be achieved.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your last statement is bang on, The pigeons are smart, They respond to care and love by doing the best at what they can, I believe they like to please, Just like a good dog or horse.

With regards to the diet, A performer rollers diet seems to be best to be around 50% wheat, 50% sorghum, some use barley in place of wheat and you can play with those variations but don't give more than 50% sorghum, so only increase the wheat and take away the sorghum, A racers diet will give you strong, fast flying birds and even the best of rollers can "not roll" due to the wrong diet.

I sometimes clap and my rollers roll but I do not think it will make a bird that does not have the roll gene roll. Possible as I believe lots of things with pigeons are possible but unlikely, Maybe a cross ( if the do not roll ) would be less time consuming and more rewarding, If you have 10 years to dedicate to it, With some understanding of the genetics it could be achieved.

That's a bit where i am confused. I kinda thought you didn't have to cross you could just train them,and that ability you trained into them would pass into the next,and by doing that the more you train them on that specific ability the stronger it gets and the more it shows up? Or is that now how that all works?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts