Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time in this website so I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.

about four days ago my dad found a little pigeon outside in the snow with its eyes closed, limbs close to its body and shivering in a corner. He picked it up and brought it home and since then we have been looking after it. we have a room it stays in during the night but it is free to roam the house during the day. We feed it a canary orange blossom seed mix because we couldn't find a pigeon mix. It happily eats away but I have never seen it drink the water in the dish we gave it. it is still a bit scared of us if we approch it but if we sit down it will walk towards us just picking at the ground. I have just recently tought it to eat from my hand.

What I am asking is, is there anything I am missing, anything important?
Should I provide anything else in its diet?

Here is a photo (I think she is a nestling stock dove):

http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/qq20/Metalio564/?action=view&current=IMG_0127.jpg

and also when I she (I think) finished eating she will cry out and keep crying for a while, then she comes upstairs to where I am, but still crying, then notices me, picks the ground and stops crying. is she lonely or still hungry? Please help.

P.S. she doens't really fly anywhere, just when she needs an extra boost up the stairs or down off of a ledge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

I think so, it would eat quite a lot of seeds, but still crys sometimes so I go down and give more untill she stops crying. It has no trouble eating, especially from my hand, but drinking I'm not sure about, we have a 2 inch deep dish filled with water for it to bathe/drink in, but it doesn't appear to use it. should I place her in the water or get a different dish? thanks

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
A small ramakin style dish for water would be ideal.
The water should be tepid, not too cold or too warm.
If you guide the birds beak to the water & dip it in, but do not dip it in past its nostrils.
you may have to do this a few times for it to get the idea, but it should eventually drink when it wants.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I will try it now. and just curious if I should feed her anything else in her diet? right now it is being fed orange blossom honey treat for parakeet (nutritionally fortified) according to the label.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and also, how would I direct her beak to the water? I tried splashing my fingers in the water but she just looked at my hand and didn't move. if I get close to her, even while moving slowly and talking in a low, calm voice she still runs away. I can put some seeds in my hand and she will eat from my hand but If I move my hand while she is eating she will "wing slap" my hand and try to peck it. then I stop moving and she will continue eating.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You could try covering her with a soft towel or cloth while she is eating, then pick her up, move her towards the water (still covered), uncover her head & gently show her the water & use your finger to gently guide her her head & dip her beak into it.
The towel will stop her wingslapping and keep her calmer while you lift her.
As you lift her, If you can hold and support her in a way that her legs are pointing towards her tail but the feet are free and not able to push against you she wont be able to struggle against you so much and will also relax more.
If you also keep talking to her calmly as you do this and move her slowly it will help.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
If she doesnt catch on that way, you could also try dipping your finger in the water then gently rub your finger along the side of her beak so surplus water dribbles in. She should then get the taste of it and hopefully learn :D

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Metalio,

If you are gentle and deferential to the youngster, they will let you simply guide their Beak into tepid Water, and they will Drink.

Have a flat Bottom Coffee Cup of Tepid Water, set it in front of them.

Slightly moisten your finger tip pads in it, shake off the drops, gently 'massage' their Beak as an invitation for feed or water, to get them 'Nuzzling'...

Once Nuzzling, even tentatively, keep your finger tip pads on the sides of their Beak, softly grasping it that way, toward the root area, and, guide it into the Water...keeping them on the Beak in that way as they drink.

In their terms, this provides the tactile-feeling-sense of their Parent's Throat, enough anyway, for them to recognise and accept the gesture as one of inviting them to be Fed or Watered, so they will gladly comply.

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the help, I will try it when she gets more comfortable with me. I usually wake up in the morning and feed her by gently opening the door, walking in slowly and talking to her while sprinkling the seeds. She still runs away from me but is getting more relaxed and friendly. I will try this when she will let me pet her.

and thanks again for all your help, I would be lost without this site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could try covering her with a soft towel or cloth while she is eating, then pick her up, move her towards the water (still covered), uncover her head & gently show her the water & use your finger to gently guide her her head & dip her beak into it.
The towel will stop her wingslapping and keep her calmer while you lift her.
As you lift her, If you can hold and support her in a way that her legs are pointing towards her tail but the feet are free and not able to push against you she wont be able to struggle against you so much and will also relax more.
If you also keep talking to her calmly as you do this and move her slowly it will help.
I tried this but she wouldn't let me guide her beak and now she is even more scared of me. I think I should wait a few days or a week and keep feeding her and saying hello and just being friendly to her until she trusts me enough. I did see her put her beak in the water once when I was hand feeding her so she might know it's there. what do you blokes think?

·
Registered
165 Posts
What a beautiful Pigeon and very lucky. If you all did not take him in he may have not survived. You could always add some uncooked popcorn, uncooked peas and Salfflower seed to his seed mix. You could also use a Dove & Quail mix. He maybe to small to introduce grit and Lettuce too. But pij like Romaine lettuce too. What do you plan to do with this little fellow?

:) Cheryl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hello Cheryl,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, it was -20 degrees Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) outside when my dad found her. I will try to add some lettuce to her diet. I do plan on keeping her, mainly because if we let her go now or soon she will freeze to death, but when summer comes she might become attached to me. Yeah, on Saturday I am going to the big city and searching for some pigeon mix. Thanks again for your help.

Metalio :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello, it's me again. Just saying that my pigeon is becoming territorial (I think). She comes out of her room tweeting after I feed her, so I think she is still a bit hungry so I grab the seeds and walk towards her room. she then chases my feet and tries to peck them. Is this normal? Should I do something?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.