Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two weeks of mourning for his mate, Reva, Rocky started hanging out with Leo. I always figured Leo was a boy because Rocky treated him so viciously. Clearly I was wrong since she laid an egg in her cat bed last night.

I've called craft stores as far as two towns away and the best I can find are 1 1/2" wooden eggs. That sounds too large, will they work? I may not have a choice. I also wondered if there was anything else egg-like that I could use. Any suggestions?

I have to say I'm so proud to see my belligerent boy taking his turn on the nest. Of course he does REALLY short shifts but he's not even a year old yet.
Sadly I just can't keep any more pigeons. Hope they don't hold it against me.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Maybe you could find some whole acorns and paint them white.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you sky tx and Pigeonlove, but I don't want to wait that long. I'm already feeling badly about tossing their eggs. The longer they lay on them the worse it will be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you could find some whole acorns and paint them white.
I was able to find a few and am now waiting for the paint to dry (hope acrylic is safe). They have rough tops- no caps, just where the stem attached. Also have tips at the end I couldn't remove. I don't know if this will fool them but at least they're close in size. I will slip it next to the real egg when they're off the nest and see if they push it out or not.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Great idea, thanks. It's the wrong time of the year but maybe I can find some old ones. (too bad I rake year round)
Some stores sell them in bulk. Another place you might look is a toy store and you might be able to find a little ball that size.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I was able to find a few and am now waiting for the paint to dry (hope acrylic is safe). They have rough tops- no caps, just where the stem attached. Also have tips at the end I couldn't remove. I don't know if this will fool them but at least they're close in size. I will slip it next to the real egg when they're off the nest and see if they push it out or not.

Cool. When you replace them, make the switch ...put your hand in the nest with the pretend eggs...drop them and pick up the real ones. Try to do this while there is a bird on the eggs so they can't see what you are doing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update-

The acorns work like a charm, so thank you Charis for the great suggestion!
However a friend of mine freaked out when I said I'd be tossing the real eggs and acted like I was a monster (as if I didn't feel bad enough already). I finally told him if he could find a good home for the babies I'd let them hatch. He did- in fact it's the same woman who brought me Leo last Thanksgiving after finding her on the side of the road. (she would have kept her but was in the process of moving at the time)

So I'll get to see my first hatch and my birds can have at least one family. Leo seems happy and healthy, Rocky is a very stressed-out expectant father.

Here's the kicker- I mentioned to my friend that I would be ordering dummy eggs and he wanted to know why, since I was letting them sit on the eggs. I reminded him that they weren't going to stop after this. He said "Well, just give all the other babies to my friend too." That poor woman. I didn't know what to say to this but I am ordering the dummy eggs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dear atti, I think ordering the dummy eggs is a good choice. If you do the switch right after they lay them, it will not feel like you are killing a baby pigeon. It will be hard letting the babies go...just warning you!!! That is why I had to order the eggs, I would have wanted to keep all the babies because they are sooooo cute, but there is a time to stop. Can't wait to see the babies when they hatch!! You can always let them keep a set, now and then, if you feel the need!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Tell your friend the world is full of doves and pigeons needing a good home and good homes are hard to come by. Please...don't give your friend's concern any worry at all.
Ordering the eggs is the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
The acorns work like a charm, so thank you Charis for the great suggestion!
However a friend of mine freaked out when I said I'd be tossing the real eggs and acted like I was a monster (as if I didn't feel bad enough already). I finally told him if he could find a good home for the babies I'd let them hatch. He did- in fact it's the same woman who brought me Leo last Thanksgiving after finding her on the side of the road. (she would have kept her but was in the process of moving at the time)

So I'll get to see my first hatch and my birds can have at least one family. Leo seems happy and healthy, Rocky is a very stressed-out expectant father.

Here's the kicker- I mentioned to my friend that I would be ordering dummy eggs and he wanted to know why, since I was letting them sit on the eggs. I reminded him that they weren't going to stop after this. He said "Well, just give all the other babies to my friend too." That poor woman. I didn't know what to say to this but I am ordering the dummy eggs.

just be careful hatching babies for others, it will be two months before they can even be let go, and in that time things can change or they change their mind..been there done that, and then you may have two more pigeons, also it is more work for your birds, more feed consumption and more cleaning of the babies area for you..so if you are very sure you do not want more pigeons it is risky to do this for people. you will get over feeling bad about swapping the eggs, they do not know the fake ones are not theirs, so what is there to feel bad about... the eggs are just the same as chicken's eggs you eat for breakfast at that point. using fake eggs is a must when keeping pigeons, it is responsible pigeon keeping, and your friend needs to be educated about that.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Without fake eggs, you would quickly be overcrowded with birds. Even breeders give their pigeons a break from raising babies. It takes a physical toll on them to have one clutch after another. It is hard at first, but I do it for my birds health and well being. And we should always keep room for a rescue or two or six!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't worry. I've raised all kinds of poultry and regularly collected eggs. I just feel bad they'll be brooding and expecting babies that will never come. (and I worry a little that they'll know I'm to blame).
But since my 3 pigeons basically live in my house I have no qualms about saying NO MORE! :)
Of course like Pigeonlove said, saying goodbye to the chicks will be hard I'm sure.
My friend just needs to layoff. He's not the one buying their food and cleaning their poop.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ya, and then you have the problem of the babies growing up and wanting a mate, then you have more babies and more eggs to deal with! (And you know they will mate each other if there are no other birds available!!:eek:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts