Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first round of breeding with my new birds and their first mating. (I did help them out with a couple of extra hours of light in the morning.) both hens laid their first egg last Monday.

One pair built a great nest and laid their two eggs and are doing well.

The other pair didn't do to well at building a nest before laying the first egg and managed to break it before the second egg was laid. I discarded the broken (first) egg and they have laid the second but are not setting continuosely. My question will the hen lay another (third) egg and then start incubating or should I stick a second (fake) egg in the nest so she will start setting. It has been 3 days since she laid the second egg.

any suggestions

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'd offer the second pair some nesting material and see if they will take advantage of it. The hen will not lay a third egg at this point. Whether or not putting in a fake to complete the clutch will do the trick .. I can't say, but I'd give it a try. It sounds like this pair are just not quite ready for parenthood.

Terry

·
Registered
501 Posts
No they won't lay a 3rd egg..... Put a Phony egg in there with the other egg, so they will have there normal 2....... Sorry, I didn't read Terrys reply, as it is the same as I said, & correct... Good Luck, Happy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts