Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all please can anyone help me with a young wood pigeon i found on the pavement driving into my estate. I saw a cat pounce on him and he was in terrible shock so i took him home and put him in a room with a heater for 12 hours but the next morning 24 hours later he still seemed slightly shocked and hadn't eaten but later he picked up and eat a little and seemed anxious to be off so i let him out but he couldn't fly so i brought him back in thinking the cat had injured him although there were no obvious injuries. So took him to the vet who said he was fine and that he was a young one probably with parents somewhere but was told they won't bother with him now and advised me to take him home and put him in a large room so he can learn to fly so he's been in my garage now for a week and delighted to say he has learned to fly. He's eating on his own bits of seed but only when i put it in front of him but the last 2 days he's coming down for the food by himself. So now i have put him in the shed and sort of made it like an aviary and because we have wood pigeons come into the garden i thought maybe by watching them he might learn a few things. I intend to release him but worried he won't survive! Will he be able to find food for himself out there? As he has no parents to teach him what are his chances? And because its october is this the wrong time of year to let him go? Please can anyone help Thankyou

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i'm suprised the vet didn't give you an anti biotic for him, all it takes it one little pin prick from a tooth or nail to make the bird really sick and can kill them, cat's have a deadly bacteria in their mouths, can you call the vet and ask him to give you some? if you can weigh him before you call he may not make you bring him in again.
can you post a picture so we can determine age, he may be to young to feed himself enough to grow strong.
you can feed him thawed frozen corn and peas, pop one in his mouth at a time and let him swallow.
stand by for info about release, that i'm not sure about

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for helping this one along. As you've had it for a while at least any injury or scratches the cat might have inflicted didn't turn nasty. Quite often a bird will die very soon after a cat attack through infection from the bacteria in the cat's saliva. Generally they need ant-biotics in the first few hours to be sure. This one must have been lucky.

Do you have a way of posting a picture so we can try and guess how old it is. At a guess if it's starting to fly I'd assume it's around three weeks old. You could supplement it's feeding by giving it some defrosted peas popped into it's mouth. They also like to eat greens, and if it's eating well by itself, you could provide some chopped up watercress, lettuce or spinach to give it a varied diet while it's growing.

It does sound as if it's doing very well and if it was still with parents, they would be pottering about with them in the garden, and as you say, learning from them.
I still see quite a few youngsters coming down and so it's still a good time for them to find food.

Ideally they are better being released with others and if you have a rescue centre near you that is pigeon friendly, you could take it there. If you let us know whereabouts you are we could see if there is somewhere suitable where you could take it.
If there isn't, the set up you've made is quite a good alternative, as at least you know it's a woodie environment and if it can see other woodies about it could at least be released with the knowledge it has others around it could follow.
I'd keep it for a little while longer to make sure it's a strong flyer and is a good weight. Then if you can provide some seeds in the garden so it knows it can find some food until it's more established.

(Obviously you need to be sure it isn't in danger of being caught again by a cat if you have any coming into your garden, but at least this time it will be able to fly thanks to your help).

Let us know your location so we can see if there's a place it can be taken for release.

Keep us posted

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
There are a lot of juvenile wood pigeons around at this time of year.

Keep him in the shed, in a position where he can see other woodies eating until he is feeding well on his own and is an agile flier. Put down food for the woodies where he can see them eat. That will help him learn how to identify food sources by the precense of other woodies as well as the location of a "feeding station".

Once he is strong, agile and self feeding, open the shed door but let him leave in his own time. Put down food for him daily and hopefully he will return to eat until he is able to forage in a wider area. he might also choose to return to roost in the shed.

Alternatively you could take him to a trusted sanctuary (let me know where you are and I can tell you if there is one near you) where he can mix with other juveniles and be released as a mini flock, but you will have to ask about whether they provide seed to support them after release and whether they are going to be released anywhere near farms where the woodies could be shot!:eek:

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
it can take up to 2 weeks for the cat wounds to kill them, i would still get the anti biotic for him
I agree. Ask the vet for synulox. You can phone (because he has seen the bird so recently he won't need to see it again). You should also try to get a log number from the RSPCA (don't say it is a pigeon), which will enable the vet to charge the RSPCA and not you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Help with young pigeon

Hi i have taken some photos hope you can see them. I have also weighed him and he is 14oz. I will give him antibiotics if you think i should but he seems fine don't think the cat had much time to do anything i saw him jump off the wall but not certain if he pounced on him or in front but the pigeon was in severe shock. I haven't as yet had to feed him by hand he likes bird seed and crumbled fat ball but i'm also giving him chopped brocoli sprout grass clover blueberries grapes and today some peas as suggested and some peanuts in a net bag please let me know if i'm doing anything wrong. No other wood pigeons have been here today just hope they come back for his sake don't understand their usually here every day but i have seen flocks flying over, do they move on somewhere else this time of year? As for a rescue centre that would be fantastic if he could go where he can be looked after properly and as you say with other young but i don't know of anywhere i live in Bodmin Cornwall UK. Would be delighted if you do know of anywhere in cornwall. Thankyou for getting back to me on this hope to here from you soon Sharon

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He is adorable, I think I love them best at that age!

I would take the peanuts out of the net and chop or halve them. You could also offer some chopped greens, they like water cress, rocket and lettuce. Mine also like sunflower hearts.

We have a member (Alison) in Totnes that rehabs woodies:

Totnes Birdcare
Westonfields,
Totnes,
TQ9 5QU

07812 833996/ 01803 867574

And I know that the Mousehole Wild Bird Hospital rehabilitates woodies as they have had one from this forum this year, but it is a bit far away:

Mousehole Wild Bird Hospital
Raginnis Hill
Mousehole
Penzance
TR19 6SR
Telephone: 01736 731386

There is also this place, a bit nearer but I don't know much about them. They say they take all wildlife

Holsworthy Wildlife Rescue
Paradise Farm
Whitstone
Holsworthy
Devon
EX22 6LE
Telephone: 01288 84233

There is also the William and Patricia Venton RSPCA, it looks closer to you but I have no confidence at all in the RSPCA!

Cornwall Branch Animal Centre
Higher Quoit
St Columb
Cornwall
TR9 6JS
Telephone: 01637 881455

We also have a member in Plymouth that is not a rehabber but a rescuer with experience of wood pigeons, she might be able to help:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/member.php?u=4728

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Sharon,
He's about the age I imagined from what you described.

I've only found one rescue centre at the moment in Cornwall which I know does take pigeons. Unfortunately it's in Mousehole, which I think is about 45/50 miles from you.
I'll give you the details anyway and if I can see anywhere else I'll let you know.

Mousehole Bird Hospital
Raginnis Hill
Mousehole
Penzance
Cornwall.
TR19 6SR..Tel: 01736 731386

I think you're doing well with this little one and if this is too far away, I think the next best thing would be to keep it for a little while longer, but not so that it gets too used to you handling it. As long it stays wary of humans it will be safer that way as not all people are as kind to them as you've been.

Then as Cynthia said, open it up and let it explore but at least if the shed is open it will have the option to go back for shelter until it's found it's feet out there.

Do let us know how things are going,

Janet

Just noticed Cynthia has some more suggestions which is great.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Just noticed Cynthia has some more suggestions which is great.
Thanks Janet, but I have to say that my gut instinct in this case would be for a garden release, not immediately but once she has watched the garden woodies for a while and built up her strength. She is obviously loved where she is and would be watched over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi thankyou so much for replying can't believe the responce i've had i'm really grateful and its nice to know there are people who care as for the rspca i didn't get much help from them infact they told me to put him back and let nature take its course even though he was in dreadful shock but i ignored them. Thankyou for the contacts i will phone all of them tomorrow and find out which one will take him and i don't mind travelling and thanks for the advice on feeding i have written out his shopping list for tomorrow bless him he is a sweety. I am trying not to have too much contact with him especially now he's in the shed and glad to say he is scared of me. Been really worried about this but I feel much better now since i joined this forum today thanks to all you wonderful animal lovers:) I will get back tomorrow to let you know how i've got on with the rescue centre's if no joy then i will do the best i can for him or her. Thanks again Sharon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Help with young pigeon

:confused: Do you think then he would be better off staying here and being released i don't mind whatevers best. When he was in the garage he had plenty of space to fly but has much less space now in the shed as its only 6 x 4ft is this big enough?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Talk to the sanctuaries, ask them what they can do for him and what size their release pens are , if they have other juveniles awaiting release and if they provide food for the youngsters after release.

You can make your mind up once you have all the information, but if he won't be mixing with other juveniles in the sanctuary and won't be supported with food afterwards then IMO he would be better to have a soft release in the place he is used to.

We have an aviary which we originally used for releases, it is 6 X 4 and our Littlewood was in it for a while. As far as I remember she could fly well by the time she went into the larger aviary.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Talk to the sanctuaries, ask them what they can do for him and what size their release pens are , if they have other juveniles awaiting release and if they provide food for the youngsters after release.

You can make your mind up once you have all the information, but if he won't be mixing with other juveniles in the sanctuary and won't be supported with food afterwards then IMO he would be better to have a soft release in the place he is used to.
Yes I agree totally with that. If the sanctuaries haven't currently got any youngsters in then there's no benefit. I know you'd feel better if they took it in but don't worry I think you're doing a great job, and if you don't find one that you feel comfortable with, then I'm sure it will be ok in your garden.
I would very rarely suggest that as many people just assume if you throw the pigeon out into the wild, it will know what to do.
You have obviously quite rightly thought about it's well being and it's need to see and learn from other woodies so with food support it would probably be quite ok.

Don't worry, I think which ever route you take it sounds like this youngster will be fine.

Janet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all i haven't made any phone calls today to any care centre's, after feeding him this morning i was in two minds. I will still think about it so thankyou for the numbers, the totnes and mousehole one's sound good but i will see what they say if i decide to phone them. The good thing about it was the thought of him being with and being released with other young one's. Don't know if this is a good idea but if someone else has one about his age in the same position as me would it be a good idea if it came here so they could be released together or would they fight? Just thinking i have come this far saving him from the cat and dying of shock so really it would be nice to carry on just want him to be ok. Also it will be nice to see him come out of the shed and be free but i will be worried about him though and i will have to watch my sprocker. I have done his grocery shopping today gabbage watercress rocket spinach and some suet pellets if their ok for him. And also can he have mild cheese or will that make him bad? Please can you let me know what you think about another wood pigeon coming here and about the cheese Thankyou Sharon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts