Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have a young pigeon that had string injury to both feet. One foot became completely necrotic and fell off, and the other has mostly necrotic toes and swelling. May have bumblefoot but we are not 100% certain. We have been treating with 20mg amoxicillin for two weeks given it was a squab when the injury happened, but are not sure if this is working and how long the course should be? Have also bought colloidal silver, is it bad to switch if the original course isn鈥檛 complete? We are hoping the foot may just naturally fall off and heal on its own.

We have also been giving chilli powder, turmeric, ACV and cinnamon alternate days alongside feed, water, grit and other supplements to avoid any further problems. He is eating and drinking very well on its own. A little yellow skin came away today after an antiseptic wash that we have bandaged. Vets around here are useless, they just want to euthanise. Only thing we got from them was prescribed loxicom and gabapentin.

Any advice would be much appreciated, we are just trying our best to keep him alive and as well as we can. Thank you in advance 馃檹馃徑
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Gesture Bun Fun Eyelash Recreation
Hand Sleeve Finger Natural material Wrist
Chewbacca Bird Beak Liver Feather

Registered
Poor baby. Are you sure there's no more string (human hair maybe) wrapped around the toe and causing the swelling? I've never dealt with bumblefoot, but I've done some reading online reg this problem in chickens. Seems like it's not so easy to cure.

Do a 10 to 14 day course of amoxycillin. Are you on FB? There's a good site which you can join and post: Palomacy help group for pigeon and dove rescue. Members might give advise and will hopefully be able to refer you to a good avian vet. Just don't take him to a rescue centre as he probably will get euthanized.

Please keep us updated. You can also massage the foot with an antibiotic cream.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Marina, thank you for your help and sorry for the late reply. Soon enough after our messages the dead foot actually fell off by itself. It was gruesome and horrible to watch to say the least, but we were thankful she was finally rid of it and able to move closer to recovery. We didn鈥檛 see anymore string wrapped around at the time nor after the deceased foot separated so not sure if it anything was completely embedded and therefore hard to see any further. We completed the course of antibiotics as suggested and her wounds on both feet have made a fairly good recovery.

As predicted since she hasn鈥檛 had the feet to stand on, she鈥檚 been standing on the lower leg which has had some bruising and swelling to it. We鈥檝e been putting her in a hammock for most of the day/night to keep the weight off it, but of course she wants to be free to flap around and finds her way out of it every so often. She鈥檚 had foul smelling poo again so we鈥檝e been trying a course of coccidiosis treatment and probiotics. She鈥檚 also recently a lot more riled and stressed out now, she spends a lot of the day flapping around the box she鈥檚 in if not in the hammock. We鈥檝e been spraying purple spray on her legs and giving occasional painkillers so it鈥檚 not addictive but no idea what else to do. Her feathers aren鈥檛 as relaxed as normal either, she鈥檚 not puffed up but her feathers seem separated and weird not sure what this means. I鈥檝e also been trying to win over her trust by hand feeding and cuddling her. At times it seems to work and other times she still seems unhappy. Any tips please?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up

I am fairly new to the pigeon game but I鈥檝e realised she seems underweight. Her keel bone is definitely sticking out. We are giving her a seed mix, grit and plenty of water and we keep it on one side of the box she鈥檚 in. We noticed she doesn鈥檛 always manage to hobble over when not in the hammock so that鈥檚 when we started hand-feeding her at least 3 times a day. Considering maybe giving her more sunflower/safflower feeds to fat her up a little? She doesn鈥檛 eat big corn and peas, we considered giving her defrosted peas to help with that but not sure if there鈥檚 an age limit on that side. She seems to like red and white dari and paddy rice quite a bit.
Thanks again!

Registered
Are you giving calcium with added Vit D3 and a general vitamin supplement? How is the toes of the other foot? In a normal position?

It's possible that she is holding in her droppings when in the hammock, then they will be huge and foul smelling. Can you get hold of a handrearing formula for baby parrots? You can mix the powder with a little bit of water to form a soft clay. Make small balls and also handfeed this to her. They just need to drink a lot of water when getting fed these balls.

You can also add hemp and red sorghum seeds to her diet. Much easier to eat than big pieces of corn.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have started on a calcium supplement and she is getting versele laga glucose and vitamins, as well as wonder pigeon. Both her feet have self amputated, one leg is still splayed out to the side. She seems to have foul droppings whether in the hammock or not, but definitely not as large when not in the hammock. She's actually had runny droppings the last couple of days with little or non-existing white uric acid. Will try the handrearing formula, hemp and red sorghum seeds, thank you so much for your advice! Will keep you posted on how I get along.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Marina, unfortunately, Stumpy passed away today after neck twisting and laboured breathing. I assume possible salmonella, PMV or calcium deficiency. I feel like I tried so hard to keep her alive and well but unfortunately maybe wasn't quick enough to get to the root of the problem. She was so adorable and loving. Thank you for all your help towards her care, it means so much to us.

On a side note, another male pigeon Padfoot who also had splay legs has developed the same nervous dispositions the last couple of days. He had been taken care of inside our home with Stumpy for at least 10 weeks. Last week, the first day I noticed the nervousness and somewhat liquidy green droppings I put him on a course of colloidal silver, this seemed to help for the first few days but am unsure whether it's making enough of a difference. I am going to be completing a week course of this soon and will try amoxicillin after that for salmonella and hope a more broad-spectrum antibiotic does the job. I will also remove the grit for a while, I didn't know this lessens the effect of antibiotics until today. I'm thinking it's salmonella since I've read about joint lesions and Stumpy had one, I just didn't understand this was it at the time. Will also send samples to a lab for salmonella and chlamydia for the loft full of pigeons outside. As a precaution, I'm going to keep all the birds in the loft outside quarantined for six weeks just in case it's anything more. Wish me luck!

Registered
Sorry you lost him. Always better to get the droppings tested. Do a 21 day course of amoxycillin. This once helped for a pigeon that didn't recover after 2 treatments of a week each. Every time I stopped the antibiotics, he went downhill again. The 21 day treatment sorted out his problems.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Marina, thanks for your advice we are going to try this from today. This morning he鈥檚 woken up very quiet, wasn鈥檛 eating or drinking much at all. He had green droppings again but not watery, and kept falling asleep. We gave him 0.4ml of colloidal silver neat and an anti-inflammatory/pain medication. He鈥檚 having water with probiotics and ACV and garlic. He鈥檚 been eating more since and after producing urates and no actual poo for a while he鈥檚 now finally had a poo. There is a lot of bile so clearly there鈥檚 still a problem. I wonder whether it鈥檚 worth treating him for canker but don鈥檛 know if it will be too much giving further medication at the moment. The faecal testing kits are on order now as well.

Registered
You can use canker meds and amoxycillin at the same time. So if you think you might lose him, won't hurt to start treating him with both meds. The last photo shows he has been eating and digesting food, so at least an improvement to the droppings in the first photo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks phew that鈥檚 reassuring! He鈥檚 doing much better today, more lively and eating himself more regularly. He鈥檚 also had normal droppings all day. We鈥檝e given him the one spot for worms/lice today because we knew he had them some time back so to eliminate that as a possibility. It seems he didn鈥檛 drink as much today so going to keep an eye on him tomorrow to make sure he鈥檚 still staying hydrated :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts