Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my white homer hen just layed her second egg last night around 6. Today in the morning when i went in to check on them, i noticed that she was dragging her whole right wing. It was kinda hanging, and she was shaking a little, more on her wing. What might be wrong with her. She cant fly or jump, she attempted but could not do it... And one more thing, she is not sitting on the eggs. What might be wrong with her? Ive had that pair for about a month now and no problems whatsoever. Any help is Appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
She may be deficient in vitamin D, so she can use calcium for egg laying, they will use up calcium from their bodies if they are deficient.

Vitamin D Vitamin D assist in taking calcium and phosphorus from the intestines and into the blood stream, where they can be used for building the skeleton. deficiency of d will promote a deficiency of these two minerals. Vitamin D helps balance the ratio of calcium and phosphorous.

Source The pigeons body produces vitamin D from ultraviolet rays from sun light. Supplement diet with cod liver oil. Another source that contains D is barley. Supplements also can be used.

It is best to get any new birds in condition before breeding, I would not worry about the eggs, you can leave them there. but just get her better is the main thing. also to consider is post egg laying paralysis.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She may be deficient in vitamin D, so she can use calcium for egg laying, they will use up calcium from their bodies if they are deficient.

Vitamin D Vitamin D assist in taking calcium and phosphorus from the intestines and into the blood stream, where they can be used for building the skeleton. deficiency of d will promote a deficiency of these two minerals. Vitamin D helps balance the ratio of calcium and phosphorous.

Source The pigeons body produces vitamin D from ultraviolet rays from sun light. Supplement diet with cod liver oil. Another source that contains D is barley. Supplements also can be used.

It is best to get any new birds in condition before breeding, I would not worry about the eggs, you can leave them there. but just get her better is the main thing. also to consider is post egg laying paralysis.
You may be right, i think egg paralysis is the problem. Because she just sits and stays in place, i thought her wing was the problem since its was kinda hanging lower then the left side. Anyway thanks for your fast reply.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need to get some calcium into her asap. She is in a fair amount of pain. I give all my pigeons oyster shell, offered in a separate dish. I do the same with red grit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to get some calcium into her asap. She is in a fair amount of pain. I give all my pigeons oyster shell, offered in a separate dish. I do the same with red grit.
i also give them red grit. i will put it in her nest anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No it is not her first set of eggs, she has had eggs before i got her. She is doing much better, she was not eating at all earlier, and i just checked on her right now. I mixed some grit with feed and she was finally feeling well enough to come and eat out of my hand. A lot of improvement from earlier.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
No it is not her first set of eggs, she has had eggs before i got her. She is doing much better, she was not eating at all earlier, and i just checked on her right now. I mixed some grit with feed and she was finally feeling well enough to come and eat out of my hand. A lot of improvement from earlier.
you do not need to mix the oystershell with the feed, give it in a seperate dish so she can eat all she wants.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Give her calcium. If that is not the problem, then maybe she bumps something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts