Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have found a baby pigeon about 3-weeks old crawling around home depot crying so i brought it home and its perfectly fine, i have had it for 4 days now it eats seeds and has been drinking. BUT it is still scared of me it goes in a corner every time it sees my hand and trys to hit me with its wing and bite. See i thought it would think i was its mom but it thinks i am going to hurt it, when i have been feeding it. So here is my question HOW CAN I MAKE IT LIKE ME? and not be so scared........

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
They warm up to you pretty quickly.
I talk softly, stroke their head and back, "play" with their beak, "tickle" under and around their neck with my index finger, ignore their wing slapping (and they don't really bite). "Play" with the food (put my finger in it and wiggle it around) drop a little in front of him and push it around with your finger.
Single baby pigeons tame rather quickly.
Is this your first pigeon?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Ok i have found a baby pigeon about 3-weeks old crawling around home depot crying so i brought it home and its perfectly fine, i have had it for 4 days now it eats seeds and has been drinking. BUT it is still scared of me it goes in a corner every time it sees my hand and trys to hit me with its wing and bite. See i thought it would think i was its mom but it thinks i am going to hurt it, when i have been feeding it. So here is my question HOW CAN I MAKE IT LIKE ME? and not be so scared........
Thank you for helping the youngster.

Was the parent birds anywhere around? It sounds like he was just about to become weaned.

Make sure the baby is getting enough to eat, he needs to eat at least 4 to 5 times per day, about a tablespoon of seed-per meal, and then make sure he drinks.

It is scared of you because he is at the age where he knows his mom and dad well, so the adjustment will take time.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Ok i have found a baby pigeon about 3-weeks old crawling around home depot crying so i brought it home and
its perfectly fine, i have had it for 4 days now it eats seeds and has been drinking.

BUT it is still scared of me it goes in a corner every time it sees my hand and trys to hit me with its wing and bite
It sounds like he just needs a little help finishing up his 'growing' process and will be releasable.

From your description, he definitely has his defense moves (wing slapping and nipping at you) in tact.
Mom and Dad taught him well. :)

With that said . . .
I would suggest not lovin' up to him or expecting the same from him in return.

The best way you can help him is to offer him seeds, water and a clean place to rest his feathers and observe him, making sure he's eating, drinking, pooping and preening.
He will let you know when he's ready to be returned to the wild side of life. :)

Cindy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts