Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a squab on the 7th and the lady who gave her to me relized that she had a broken leg, but not that she had a broken wing. she has already been to a vet, but the vet didn't examine her. we took her back on the 8th to WBU to get Ms. Nicole to wrap the wing also. Ms. Nicole said that Brooke should heal fine, but i hate to see her in pain. Brooke is always trembling and crying. i was wondering if anyone knows anything about medicines for birds? if you do i would really like to know about pain killers for her (if there is anything), because i am going to go crazy if she keep cringing like this :( . i am in Savannah, GA

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Babies do shake and cry a lot of the time. It's just what they do. You might try holding her close to you. Sometimes...the care giver will feed the bird to quiet it down. Don't do that! Only feed Pigeons when the crop has emptied. If you add more food to old food already in the crop, it can make a baby very sick.
The other possibility is that you aren't feeding enough.
How much food are you feeding this baby and what food are you feeding?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

well, i think brooke is less than 14-21 days old, because she barely has any feathers, so i give her 10 - 15 ml of kaytee exact handfeeding formula. that makes her pretty ful so i wait til her crop has emptied (about 3 hours) and i feed her again. the lady i got her from is a wild bird rehabilitator and she told me to feed my squabs and my starlings KT exact. it raises them fairly well too.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I think the fact that she is constantly squeaking and trembling (that means she is begging for food) is a good indication that she isn't in pain...IMO she would be more likely to be quiet if she was in pain.

Cynthia

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I think the fact that she is constantly squeaking and trembling (that means she is begging for food) is a good indication that she isn't in pain...IMO she would be more likely to be quiet if she was in pain.

Cynthia
Funny story...
LOL...one of my most recent, Sweet Pea, squeaks all the time and I mean ALL THE TIME!:eek: The rescuer took her for a time and I thought she would keep her. She called several days later to say she wouldn't stop squeaking and I said...she must be hungry.
The person brought Sweet Pea back and she was right...she squeaks all the time. I tip toe in the dark past her covered cage and she squeaks...she is self feeding and after she gorges herself...she squeaks. She squeaks while relaxing on top the kitchen cupboard. Squeak...squeak...squeak...funny little Pigeon. The only time she doesn't squeak, is when I hold her.:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. when she is awake she is crying and trembling (even right after i feed her), but she has slept a lot scince i first started this thread. i am holding her now because she seem nervous, and because my cat was curious. she is only my third pigeon, but my
23rd bird altogether. i have not done very well with injured birds in the past, but i am hoping Brooke will be different

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Joy,
Bet you are successful this time. You sound like a loving and caring young lady. Feel free to ask for help and answers here, This is a wonderful, knowledgeable group here.
Be aware, you are going to end up with one very bonded, spoiled pigeon.
Daryl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts