Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I haven't been here in awhile. It's been too painful to return, what with Peter gone and all. Peggy stayed in the nest but tonight she did not come home. My heart is breaking (again). As she has two babies in the nest and it's dropping to zero tonight, I brought the babies inside. I have no idea when she last fed them but know she was in the nest this morning. It's 9:30 pm here and I have no way of accessing any bird food at this hour of night. Is there anything I can do for these poor little things? I can get stuff in the morning but I have to go to work tomorrow too. I do have an eye dropper. Should I at least give them some water?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm glad you brought them inside. How old are the babies? I hope someone can answer you. I really can't. Just wanted to give you some support. mindy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mindy. It's nice to reach a voice in the dark haha! I'm going to try and upload a picture as I haven't a clue how old they are. They are sooooo adorable. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here they are.....

The 24 hour vet has something called high-potency mash for injured birds but I don't think that's what I need is it? Could I get that and dilute it with some water? They're squeaking and I'm sure they're hungry.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Yes you can give them this mash diluted with water, do not give them too much 5~7 ml and keep them warm to be able to digest. Puppy chow with water also works as long as you don't overfeed them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If all you have access to is the high potency mash, yes you can use it. I suggest you dilute it with warm water to a pudding consistancy and use the eye dropper to feed them. They appear to me to be approx 2 weeks old. It is important that they be kept warm. If you have a heating pad, place it under a towell on the lowest setting and place them on top of it.

Hopefully there will be others online that can offer you more advice. I know if you have any dry dog food you can soften it in warm water and roll it into very tiny little balls and feed them one a time to them.

I wish I could be of more help to you.

I'm so glad you brought them inside.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have dog food but I do have cat kibbles. Would that, softened in water, work? I'll run over to the clinic and get the mash, if the cat food won't work. They are in a very warm room right now so hopefully they'll be okay. They sure are cute. Thank you both for the replies.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes, I believe that the cat kebbles would be OK, but I really think that the High Potency Mash would be better. It is designed to give injured birds strength to speed recovery, so I think it would be good for the babies, as it would have alot more nutrients than the cat kibble.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the mash. It's hard to feed them. How do I get them to open their mouths? The younger smaller one is very quiet. The older bigger one is a handful lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Those baby birds are so adorable.

I've been looking through some old posts, trying to find helpful info for you... I wish I was more experienced! :(

A couple of members provided these links to handfeeding in the past-- there are some good pictures here and maybe they will give you an idea of what to do when it's time to feed.
-http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333/BabyFeeding#

-http://community.webshots.com/album/165797594SYYRWL

I found this advice from TreesGray, regarding feeding a one-week old orphaned squeaker:
"You can take a baby bottle nipple and stick the end of the syringe into the hole, so the youngster can eat right out of it (the side that screws on the bottle), like they are used to with mom and dad. It is messy but allowing them to gobble the formula out of the end lets them swallow when needed, and you won't have to worry about him asparating using the syringe, that is a possibility if you aren't able to put it far back behind the air hole.

Squeeze in just enough and let him eat as much as he can and then squeeze in some more.

They should eat only when the crop is completely empty, and eat until the crop is full like a beanbag but not inflated like a balloon."

(The link to the thread with this advice is here: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/1-week-old-orphan-squeaker-help-26824.html

I think your eyedropper will work, too, if you gently open the bird's mouth and try to feed him the mash or cat kibbles.

Sorry I'm not that much help! Sending my best hopes to you & the little ones. Good luck. I also hope that your Peggy will return home, too.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm happy to talk you through it if you want to call me...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yay, Charis! (I read the big Thank You thread for Charis, so I know you're in good hands, if you take her up on her offer) :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You know...this is the age the parents leave their babies to start a new nest. They only come back to feed them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much everyone! This is such a wonderful forum. I just spoke with Charis and I think babies are going to be okay for now. They're fed and warm and safe for the night. They are so adorable.... have I mentioned that? LOL

Okay, going to bed and will update in the morning. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it looks like mom has abandoned them? I just got home from work and checked on them and I *think* their crops are empty. Here we go again. Charis you might be getting a phonecall from me.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'll be on stand by.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts