Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My birds are molting heavily on the head right now and I notice a bump near his eye. I thought it was a tick at first, but it's not. Do any of you know what it can be? It feels soft to the touch, and is a creamish yellow color. It looks as if its an extra piece of skin. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
My guess is that It's pox and will go away in several days. It will dry up and fall off. Do not pick it off.

Keep that bird quarantined in a cage, away from your other birds and make sure it gets fresh water everyday. After the "thing" falls off, open the birds mouth and check for any similar things inside of his mouth. If there are none, then the bird can go back with the rest of the birds and all will be normal again.

There is no cure and it is not life threatening normally. Unless it grows inside the mouth and restricts the airway or ability to eat. That doesn't happen often.

It is contagious to other pigeons (not you) and is usually passed through the drinking water.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I think your bird has mites that have burrowed under the skin...that's what all those little bumps are. Mites suck their blood, make it hard for them to rest and they feel miserable. they are in the environment and come into the loft on straw.
I have just been though quite an ordeal trying to rid my birds of them.
Ivermectin will kill the mites. First I tried treating my bird topically. recently, I gave them all ivermectin injections.
Don't mess around with this. Clean and spray your loft. Spray with insecticide designed for mites every month until you break the cycle. Try the ivermectin topically to begin with and take drastic measures if needed such as injections.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Just in case, I think it's a good idea to isolate him but still do the mite treatment. Either way, it shouldn't hurt him! :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Treat alll your birds for mites.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not think it is mite because I treated all my birds a month ago, and have not seen no sign of them since.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think your bird has mites that have burrowed under the skin...that's what all those little bumps are. Mites suck their blood, make it hard for them to rest and they feel miserable. they are in the environment and come into the loft on straw.
I have just been though quite an ordeal trying to rid my birds of them.
Ivermectin will kill the mites. First I tried treating my bird topically. recently, I gave them all ivermectin injections.
Don't mess around with this. Clean and spray your loft. Spray with insecticide designed for mites every month until you break the cycle. Try the ivermectin topically to begin with and take drastic measures if needed such as injections.
All those little bumps are just his feather quills that are growing from the molt. The big creamish bump is the one I am talking about.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did you use to treat them with?
I used permectrin II spray, I think thats how it is spelled. I think it may be a skin tag, because I notice that on him last year when he was molting, but forgot all about it until this year.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use Permectrin II also. I dip them once a month.
Once a month, do you have a serious problem in your area. I dip mine in the spring. I treat my yard, loft, dogs, cats, birds and house all at the same time. The dogs, cats and yard get treated monthly, but the house, loft, and birds only as needed. Then everyone get the treatment one more time after the first frost. Bugs like to run to warm areas when cold. So the birds, loft, and house get treated again. But unless I see a problem, (treating the yard monthly should prevent that) I do not treat. The only reason the cats and dogs get it is because it is easy to squirt a little oil behind the head.

Just my thoughts,
Tony

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I read it, maybe on this forum. Maybe that is too often. I also spray the outside of the loft at the base with Sevin every 2 weeks. I also spray a little orange oil on the inside on the lower walls maybe once a month.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I read it, maybe on this forum. Maybe that is too often. I also spray the outside of the loft at the base with Sevin every 2 weeks. I also spray a little orange oil on the inside on the lower walls maybe once a month.
Seriously, If you are using Sevin dust under and around the loft most bugs will never get into your loft. Too much of a good thing is not good. The bugs can become resistant to the poison. I know you well enough from reading your posts to know you care and handle your birds daily, (Still jealous of your loft). Keep treating the yard monthly, but only treat the loft and birds right before breeding and any time you see they need it. Also the orange oil should last longer than a month, its oil. I still can't get the oil spill off my driveway from last year.

God Bless, and thank you for caring about your birds,
Tony

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I do not think it is mite because I treated all my birds a month ago, and have not seen no sign of them since.
]You don't see them because the mites are under the skin. I guarantee you...your bird have mites and they are miserable.
I kept treating too. One treatment doesn't kill them. You have to clean and treat the loft as well as treat the birds, every 30 days to break the cycle.

Trust me...this is nothing to take lightly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
]You don't see them because the mites are under the skin. I guarantee you...your bird have mites and they are miserable.
I kept treating too. One treatment doesn't kill them. You have to clean and treat the loft as well as treat the birds, every 30 days to break the cycle.

Trust me...this is nothing to take lightly.
Everytime when I treat them, I always treat the whole loft also. This is the third time that I have treated them since a month ago. How long would the treatment have to go for anyways? I don't think all my birds are miserable though, maybe that bird, but all of them does not show any huge bump like him. I rarely have any mite problem, or any other problems in my loft because I carefully monitor them daily, but I since I dont know what it is I will take your advice on it and keep on treating. I am not taking this lightly, that's why I am here for advice. :) Thanks.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think he needs to use ivermectin internally, that rids them of most all blood sucking parisites, and then spray your loft. the molt should be about over now, so that is another clue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts