Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Advice needed on young (3-5 month circa) Wood pigeon found on the ground in a local park yesterday, she was clearly in need of help and so I volunteered. It seems she may of had a little flying accident and is now unable to fly for the time being, no physical damage from what I can determine, except a twisted beak though it's not broken.
For the first night she stayed in a box that was a little larger than a pigeon hole and seemed to be good this morning, though she still seems shook up.
Still unable to fly, she's now moved into the shed outside witch resembles a loft/attic environment with water (2 inch's deep) to drink/bathe, and pea's and oats to feed; but my concern is I've not seen her eat or drink as of yet and this is day 2...:confused:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
She may not know how to eat on her own yet and so you will need to hand feed her.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

It would be useful if you could post a photo (see 'manage attachments' down below the posting box). Meantime, when you say twisted beak, in what way - like, is the top kinda crossed over the bottom (scissor beak)? If so, it could mean she has been unable to forage properly.

I'm wondering about the age of the bird? Does she have the white neck patch?

Is there any sign of a wound elewhere than the twisted beak, puncture wound, spots of blood, maybe under the wing?

You may, as Charis says, have to hand feed. Thawed out frozen sweetcorn and peas, served slightly warm, is often a good start, popped into the mouth one at a time and pushed gently back so she awallows.

There is a rescue place in Nottingham -

Brinsley Animal Rescue
69 Hobsic Close
Brinsley
Nottingham
NG16 5AX

Tel. Local Rate 0845 458 2813

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.