Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new flyer. Flew about 10 years ago with local club and did ok. But with work I dropped out. Flew again last year. Started out with 32 birds and ended up with 4. My problem is that I'm the furthest guy west. We fly now with a combine so that makes it even harder for my birds not to be drawn east. I trained hard last year and birds were coming home great from 60 miles. Ever day that was good they were on the road. Like I said I'm the furthest west out of all the flyers and there is a lot. Could be 6 or 700 birds that are released. The closest guy to me might be 20 mile to my east. It is frustrating. Hopefully I can get some advice so that I could be more successful. Thanks Ej

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have an old flyer friend in Wimber, PA. When training young birds the "1st" toss was 75 miles. If they could not home from there he did not want them. Also, if you read "winning" by Jim Wiley - you'll see he single tossed his young birds at 1 mile for the 1st toss !. If they could not home from there he did not want them. Young need to learn to home on their own and not be dragged by the flock. Another trick was to release the young at a farm ( that had a big flock of pigeons around ). This would be at supper time. If they did not show up in reasonable time they did not eat. They soon learn to not mess around and get home for supper. Also when racing, the birds NEED good food and fresh water. Carbohydrates, protiens, etc - " a balanced diet"! Check out the internet about a balanced diet,

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you start off with good birds,, fed and treated with the best of everything,, pounded down the road repeated times before the first race,, on some kind of system that fits your schedule,, and last but not least,, pounded down the road some more,, then you wont have to worry about drag,, cause your birds will be leading the flock!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.