Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I just joined this group and I'm not sure if I'm posting under the right category. I have a nest of what looks like to be 2 dead baby pigeons on my balcony. I'm not sure what happened, possibly the cold weather or the mother leaving them alone too long. The mother still comes back to sit on them from time to time. What do I do? Do I get rid of the nest with the dead babies in it? I was going to but then saw she came back to sit, so now i don't know if this will disrupt her mourning, or if she doesn't realize they're dead?
hellllppp!
thank you

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I agree with Ladygrey because wild animals will often 'play dead' in order to fool potential predators, it's their only form of defence. The parent would know immediately if they are dead and will abandon them to breed again, animals don't mourn like we do, their only concern is to increase their gene pool by producing more young.
I'd wait a few days and watch at a distance to see if the parents continue to return before intervening. I'm glad you're looking out for them though and really hope they are not dead.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They will come back for a while and try to revive them, or get them to move, but will eventually move on. Maybe the parents are sick and passing something on to the babies.
Or maybe they got too cold. That's too bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.