Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, do you have advice for a crow who may have been struck by a car? I offered her food, gave her metacam, and am keeping her in a quitet dark warm place. Do you have advice on what the termperature (and humidity) should be? I have her in a room with an oil-filled space heater (and I also have a humidifier that I used for rehabbing chicks), so I can adjust the temperature (and humidity). She has a significant wing injury but she isn't as spunky as she should be so I'm worried about a more serious injury, which is why as I had discussed in advance with my vet for such cases I gave her metacam. Any advice about what I can do for the crow would be most appreciated.

Here are more details about her case:

Today I found a crow with a wing injury (left wing drooping way down) by the side of the road. She was spunky enough to run away from me but I was able to catch her and wrap her in a blanket. As I was driving her home she gripped my finger but was otherwise very calm. Also when I got her home she let me weigh her without moving around much when I picked her up. I offered her water and cat food about 1/2 hour after I got her and I think she ate a little wet cat food but not a ton.

Because the crow is so relaxed I'm worried there could be a brain injury or otherwise bad injury from a collision with a car. I had talked to my avian vet about what to do if I find a possible strike victim and we agreed that I should administer metacam because of its anti-infalmatory properties. I used a dosing chart to help figure out the Metacam dose for her (attached; my metacam is actually 1.5 mg/mL so I divided the doses on the chart by 1.5; she was 466 g so I gave her 0.2 ml). I figured that even if it isn't a brain injury the wing injury and any other injuries could be painful, so it probably wouldn't hurt and would probably help for me to give the metacam, whether or not there is a brain injury.

As I said I have her in a dark quiet place being warmed by a space heater. By my thermometer it is about 26 degrees C where she is (at 26% humidity), and I could adjust it if warmer or cooler would be better for her. I have emailed our avian vet and I am going to call her first thing in the morning and hopefully she will be able to see us tomorrow. Any and all advice about how to help the crow until then would be most welcome.

Thank you so much,
Howard

Attachments

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Would keep her like you are doing in a quiet place and let her recover. If her wing stays droopy she may need a stitch to out it back in place. Thank you for helping the crow. We rescued an ill baby crow and took care of him and he finally flew off with mom and dad a week later. We rescued a pigeon with a broken wing. The vet fixed her wing and she was fine. Crows will eat small crickets, mealworms, hamburger, moistened cat food, nuts, fruit, etc. thank you for helping the crow. Crows are really smart birds!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi, I don't have any experience with crows but I cared about a dove who had a head trauma. If your bird is suffering from a head injury it is important to keep him in a cool room (dark and quiet like you are doing). I read that the temperature should be around 21 degrees (the article is not about crows).

Here there are some links about concussion in birds and pets (maybe you can find any helpful info):

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/concussion.htm

http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/gessonstiges/gehirnerschuetterung_en.htm

http://www.petdr.com/main.cfm?id=51854

My dove did not eat on his own so I had to hand feed him for a few days. I also had to offer him water.

When we rescued our broken wing pigeon Apple she had a bad injury under her wing. The wound had a bad smell because it was becoming infected. Check carefully his body: sometimes injuries are hard to see because covered/hidden by feathers. Also pay attention to any bad smell coming from it. Apple needed surgery, antibiotics and pain med (I gave too metacam). The vet put a bandage on her wing too.

Please keep us updated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts