Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my breeder hens escaped. Will the cock raise the youngsters on his own? They are 17 days old. If not what should I do to hand feed them? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
since they are 17days old are they starting to go out of the nest bowl and such if so they father will usually take care of the feeding from there where if the hen was still there she would be sitting on anothre pair of eggs but this is sorta a wait and see situation what breed do you have if she's a homer she should come back

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
One of my breeder hens escaped. Will the cock raise the youngsters on his own? They are 17 days old. If not what should I do to hand feed them? Thanks
at 17 days he should be fine with them.. just keep an eye on them and put the feed in the box with them so they learn by watching the cock eat..another 10 days and they should be eating and then you can show them how to drink from the drinker.. the hen should come back.. unless she was a prisoner bird.. then you may want to call the x owner to see if she shows up at her home loft...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have homers.Yeah she was one of the prisoners. Never let out. Came out of my breeding loft.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was watching them an the cock is feeding them. Will keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I hope you get her back.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody. The hen is history. Never flew her was a prisoner. Had my old birds out today no luck. I just dont want to lose these youngsters. I think pops will do a good job. He looks determined.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I experienced something similar last year and the hen vanished .....I'm very happy to say that the cock bird raised them on his own just beautifully !

The hen bird eventually returned 3- 4 weeks later , there might be some hope yet !

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had a Blue Bar Cock prisoner get out yesterday. He had been here for over a year, and I had just put him together with a hen but they had not mated up yet. I don't expect he'll come back. Tough time for a bird to be out on its own around here. I hope he makes it - if not here, somewhere.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I had a Blue Bar Cock prisoner get out yesterday. He had been here for over a year, and I had just put him together with a hen but they had not mated up yet. I don't expect he'll come back. Tough time for a bird to be out on its own around here. I hope he makes it - if not here, somewhere.

I hope he's okay too. You never know, maybe he'll find his way back. Keep an eye open for him.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know exactly what you talking about. Alot of strays out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts