The trouble is, the eggs are not fertilized. Her mate is not with her,
she misses him so much, when she laid her eggs, she is setting on
them like they are fertilized...it's been 4 days since she laid the second
eggs; she is setting 24 hours, i am supplying her food and water;
she won't leave her nest for more than 5 minutes for a quick fly...then
back she goes setting. What should i do, is it possible that her eggs
are fertilized? Her son---is 4 months old and stays close to her; he
isn't old enough to mate with her....the hen is trying to make him set
on the eggs, he just stands by the nest; hasn't a clue of what to do.

Should i separate them? Should i just leave her set as long as she
wants too?

Need suggestions jay3, spirit wings, or anyone who has suggestions!

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I would leave her alone. When she gets tired of it, she'll stop. Just leave food and water near. What happened to her mate?
BTW, I have had birds pair up at 4 months old.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jay3....i have separated Leland from Leelee---their dovecote isn't finished; i have no room for 6 doves----so a friend has Leland....so the hen has
been romancing her son---i wasn't concerned since he is only 4 months old...

Are you saying at 4 months the cock is fertile? Oh my, that means genetic problems isn't it; if these eggs are fertilized---oops! How can i tell if they are?

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You need to get some fake eggs. You can candle her eggs to see if they are fertile.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You need to get some fake eggs. You can candle her eggs to see if they are fertile.
I have fake eggs, i used them in February---i hated to do it to them then; so, i decided to just separate her from Leland...ok, how do you "candle" eggs? remember, i am a newbie...

again, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Pick them up gently but firmly, be careful in case she wing slaps you. That could make you drop it. Take it to a dark place and hold a bright flashlight under it. Take just one at a time so you don't drop them. At 5 days you should be able to see veins running through them if they are fertile.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pick them up gently but firmly, be careful in case she wing slaps you. That could make you drop it. Take it to a dark place and hold a bright flashlight under it. Take just one at a time so you don't drop them. At 5 days you should be able to see veins running through them if they are fertile.
ok, i'll do it tonight ---and yes she will wing slap me---she does it when i put food and water close to her...

thanks for your help.....hopefully, i will know by tomorrow! i'll let you know the result...it will begin the 5th day as of 7:30pm

later---thanks for hanging around and responding so quickly---check in tomorrow, i'll let you know...okay...later!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Okay.............Good luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jay3---the eggs looked clear...however, the first egg was laid last thursday in the a.m....the second egg was laid Saturday in the p.m....incubation doesn't begin until after the second egg is laid....isn't it...so, is your 5 days to candle after the second egg and not the first egg---it was 5 days last night from the first egg.....

Also, Adam, the son/cock was hatched January 4, he just turned 4 months the day Leelee laid the first egg-----that would mean he would have had to be fertile in his 3rd month.......so, i will candle the eggs again this coming Thursday, to be sure----however, i really don't believe they are fertile---Leelee is so lonely, she is getting alot of attention from her two "children"....Adam and Evey are watching her like a hawk, and Evey who normally stays clear of Leelee, because Leelee doesn't like her being with Adam...Evey (flew with the plastic cover i use for a food tray---she brought it to me in her beak, i had fed Adam and Evey and was late in getting Leelee her food....Leelee is loving the attention...

i think that i need to prevent Adam from getting near her Leland is her mate; they just aren't together---yesterday, after i got off the internet; she had Adam setting on the eggs, and she was with Evey they were hunting food on the floor together. I can't let Adam think he is her mate. I think Leland will fight with Adam, when i get him back with Leelee isn't it?

Thanks for your help...i know now, i shouldn't have separated them. Their dovecote, is slow being built; can only work on it on the weekends.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jay3---i candled the eggs yesterday afternoon---the 5th day from incubation, all i saw was the yellow of the egg and a white looking bubble on the pointed end of the egg. After i put the eggs back in her nest, she sat on them for about 2 hours, then abandoned them---she sat in front of a mirror the rest of the day...to cheer her up i let Adam be with her...after she began kissing him i separated them again...she is still not happy, so i guess i need to put her back with Leland----and speed up the work and finish their new dovecote!

Thanks for your help; Adam is totally confused, he tried setting on the eggs when i let them be together, i made him get off the nest; that's when she began kissing him :( --- so, i removed the eggs and flushed them! Another lesson learned in raising doves! Now, they are separated and i intend on keeping them that way! Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hope you can get the the work done soon. Good luck!
You'll have to come back and post pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts