Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some help on determining the sex of this young 2010 bird. I thought it was a young cock because its green incandescent feathers are quite shiny but it does not act so cocky? Shape of the head looks like a hens, acts like both cock and hen, but never really has courted. The vent bones are also quite tight. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have pictures of the eggs? Its easier to tell by looking at the eggs they produce.

If no pictures of eggs, then you can still make a gender determination, but know that most of the birds that I look at without seeing photos of their eggs inevitably turn out to be cocks. :D

Good luck. Hope you do find out the real answer.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Looks like a cock to me. He's still young, and it's winter, so give him a little while to show himself :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have pictures of the eggs? Its easier to tell by looking at the eggs they produce.

If no pictures of eggs, then you can still make a gender determination, but know that most of the birds that I look at without seeing photos of their eggs inevitably turn out to be cocks. :D

No this bird does not have eggs because it is not paired up yet. thanks

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

If no pictures of eggs, then you can still make a gender determination, but know that most of the birds that I look at without seeing photos of their eggs inevitably turn out to be cocks.

Hmmmmmmmm :confused: LOL :confused: LOL :confused: I got a charge out of this answer! ;)

(If I went by looks alone.......my guess is hen with that small head)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I once read somewhere here that if you hold each bird tummy side up in your hands (like it is laying on its back in the plam of your hands) that the cock will immediately turn over and get up whereas the hen will stay still. There was a video demonstrating it and it seemed to work. Has anyone tried this before? I just tried it with Kiko(my male, immediately got up) and Kalani (my female, stayed a second longer than Kiko then got up). My female is already laying eggs, so I know the sexes of mine for sure. This test would not have help me before the eggs started though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've tried that method of determining my the gender of my birds. It works most of the times but is not always accurate. I tried it on many birds and even some of my time cocks remained still, while some hens flipped over immediately.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Its an alien that has taken the form of a pigeon :)

On a more serious note, I've had cocks that have been VERY shy and then they starting cooing out of no where :D So give it some time, maybe it might help if you locked him/her up with a group of males and see if he coos back or with a group of females for a few days and see if he tries to court one of them :) ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts