Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a pair of bird's that havent been let out of there breeding section since they have layed but i took the male out for a fresh air and ended up losing him has been 6 days his not back and i dont think he will be, well the hen kept sitting on the eggs all by herself for that 6 days and the eggs this morning have hatched,

she is still on them and has fed them there 1st meal and is still protective over them, do use think that she will raise them alone ?

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Hello,

She may or may not continue to raise them by herself. She could be waiting for her mate to return but also might give up soon if he doesn't. Do you have another pair that you could foster these babies out to if needed?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nop no other pair i really hope she will as ive had other hens in the past raise babies on there own she seems like she will very protective over them

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
It's certainly possible. I had a beautiful widowed mom in my lightwell a while back...she was a great bird, a great mom....her mate of years disappeared when their 2 chicks were under a week old....she raised the two of them all the way until they fledged. She was awesome !

Keep an eye....even if she can only hang in there raising them for about a week...she will have given them a great start and you can take over from there....

But it's a promising start thus far, sounds like. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Well, hopefully she will continue to look after them, it's not unheard of. I would keep a close eye on her and if she starts to neglect or eventually abandons them, you should have some formula, syringes, nipples etc. ready to hand feed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure will keep updating, but if she however does neglect them i wont care for the young and simply be put down or "die" since i have a busy life at work, i dont have the time, simply nothing i can do for them if they don't make it thats nature but i will do everything i can for the mom to feel comfortable.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You need keep a close eye out as she may abandon them, as happened with my two babies.

Try to keep her giving them the pigeon milk as long as possible-as it is critical the first few days, but be prepared to take over the feedings.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I sure will keep updating, but if she however does neglect them i wont care for the young and simply be put down or "die" since i have a busy life at work, i dont have the time, simply nothing i can do for them if they don't make it thats nature but i will do everything i can for the mom to feel comfortable.
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with you. Maybe it's "nature" with feral pigeons when something happens to one of the parents and the babies get left to die, but it's NOT natural when the birds are being cared for by YOU.
IMO, parents on eggs and/or babies have no business being out of the loft. It's up to YOU, their caretaker, to see to it that they are kept safe and can finish the job that YOU let them begin.
To kill the babies or just let them die because you don't have the time to care for them is just wrong.
If this was your intention to begin with, I don't even understand why you posted and asked the question about whether the hen would continue to raise the babies, because obviously, it doesn't really matter if she does or not.
I'm very disappointed in this. :(
I just hope for the babies sake, she WILL take care of them.
How sad.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
:confused:

you may be able to find someone to raise them for you if needed,ask this forum or call around to your vet, someone there will want them to live.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Renee,
You go, girl !! It's true, these birds come to rely on us, trust us. Sad that the person who owns these pigeons is willing to take the time to post, but not take the time to provide the care needed to make sure the hatching/raising of these potential babies is a success.
Daryl

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Kormez,
I agree with the others. It's your actions, letting the male bird out, that have caused this situation and you need to remedy it. If the hen can't take care of the babies all by herself, YOU need to step in and help with the feedings. That doesn't mean you need to do it all.... I can't believe you don't have time to help with some feedings. It's only for a short time, after all, and you won't need to do it for years as with a human child.

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Hi Everyone,

On one hand I agree with how Renee, Daryl, and Charis feel about responsibility of this owner to make sure things are handled properly. But on the flipside, this person may not be able to make that kind of time and sacrifice required to hand feed and cater to a baby bird.

I know for myself I couldn't do it either with my wacky work schedule and I couldn't just take time off in order to hand feed a baby pigeon. Some of us have responsibilities and obligations we just can't get out of. This is exactly why I couldn't hand raise any babies from my own pair of runts and had to ask another kind member to do that for me.

That said though, this person should have thought this out a bit more carefully, or at least considered the possibility of this happening and had a back up plan.

Kormez, if you are listening perhaps it would make everyone feel better if you could find these babies a home and if the hen abandons them. There is probably someone here on the site closeby who would take them or maybe you know someone within your own "pigeon circle" who might have the time or the fosters.

No offense to anyone for their ideas, thoughts or this person's posting.:eek:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Renee,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I was responding to the original post and then got sidetracked by family matter.

I agree that you need to find a rehabber or someone to care for these babies, if you absolutely can't, should the mother abandon them. I'll take them, I have done it before, it's only a few weeks of care! It's a wonderful bonding experience, that I was lucky enough to be a part of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok sorry guys for late reply i also recived your pm Trees Gray, I live in australia in melbourne I posted here if she would raise them since i dont see this very often and wanted answer's if its possible or not, I`m sorry for whom people are angry at me that i cannot take care of them but I seriously cannot
the only time i have for my pigeons is 1-2hrs a day which is before and after work were i will clean feed fly them. UPDATE: the hen is still very protective on the babie's and both the babies crop's are full im taking extra care on them
as ive moved her and the babie's into a different loft into a smaller cage about 3ft by 3ft so she is more intrested in the babies i watched her for a whole 1hr when i moved her over, she sat on her babies again and started protecting them this morning i walked out and she's still on them so i do think she is going to raise them, as she is a really good hen :) 24/7 looking after them i dont think she will abondend them as it has been over a week now since her mate is gone she thinks that im her mate every time i change her water and feed she will coo like how her mate and her will together and will do the wing flickering i will keep updating everyday and will post picture's up soon

Regard's
Yusuf

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ok sorry guys for late reply i also recived your pm Trees Gray, I live in australia in melbourne I posted here if she would raise them since i dont see this very often and wanted answer's if its possible or not, I`m sorry for whom people are angry at me that i cannot take care of them but I seriously cannot
the only time i have for my pigeons is 1-2hrs a day which is before and after work were i will clean feed fly them. UPDATE: the hen is still very protective on the babie's and both the babies crop's are full im taking extra care on them
as ive moved her and the babie's into a different loft into a smaller cage about 3ft by 3ft so she is more intrested in the babies i watched her for a whole 1hr when i moved her over, she sat on her babies again and started protecting them this morning i walked out and she's still on them so i do think she is going to raise them, as she is a really good hen :) 24/7 looking after them i dont think she will abondend them as it has been over a week now since her mate is gone she thinks that im her mate every time i change her water and feed she will coo like how her mate and her will together and will do the wing flickering i will keep updating everyday and will post picture's up soon

Regard's
Yusuf
thanks for the update, hope they do well!:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PICTURE'S i will Post a picture EVERYDAY for you guys/girls of the babies :)

Picture of Parent's when dad was around on egg's

Baby's Day 3

·
Registered
107 Posts
I look forward to seeing more baby photos. :)
Lovely pigeons and such sweet little babies you've got there! I wish you all well tho I am sorry to hear your hen's mate has gone missing. Do you have many other pigeons? Would you be getting another mate for her when those youngsters leave the nest?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If you lived in Melbourne, Fl. :) .... I'd take them in a heart beat, but you live the OTHER Melbourme, :p so I can't, but I'm happy you are going to help raise them. Momma is beautiful and her kids are too!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts