Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our beloved pet pigeon is very sick. She is an 11 year old hen and we love her very, very much like our child, but we are devastated because it seems there is nothing we can do to save her.

About 2 months ago we noticed that her cloaca was a bit swollen. We went to the veterinarian, and after an ultra sound and X-rays he told us that she has a mass, probably a tumor in
her abdomen. He prescribed antibiotics (metronidazole and enrofloxacin) and an antiinflamatory(piroxycam), but nothing else. It seems there is no treatment except surgery, but here in Vancouver where we live there are no doctors that can perform this kind of operation.

Now, after 2 months of treatment, the tumor didn't get any bigger, but she is very tired and sick. When we palpate her it feels like she has an egg there that wouldn't come out. If this is the case and she has an unformed egg inside is there any treatment or anything else we can do for her? Please help!

Thank you everyone for listening our story and any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Could you ask your vet to share the x-rays with a pigeon expert vet like Colin Walker at the Melbourne Bird Veterinary Clinic in Australia for a second opinion on diagnosis and treatment? Dr Walker has had telephone consultations with our members in the past and has also answered emails about pigeon illnesses.

[email protected]

http://www.melbournebirdvet.com

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Our beloved pet pigeon is very sick. She is an 11 year old hen and we love her very, very much like our child, but we are devastated because it seems there is nothing we can do to save her.

About 2 months ago we noticed that her cloaca was a bit swollen. We went to the veterinarian, and after an ultra sound and X-rays he told us that she has a mass, probably a tumor in
her abdomen. He prescribed antibiotics (metronidazole and enrofloxacin) and an antiinflamatory(piroxycam), but nothing else. It seems there is no treatment except surgery, but here in Vancouver where we live there are no doctors that can perform this kind of operation.

Now, after 2 months of treatment, the tumor didn't get any bigger, but she is very tired and sick. When we palpate her it feels like she has an egg there that wouldn't come out. If this is the case and she has an unformed egg inside is there any treatment or anything else we can do for her? Please help!

Thank you everyone for listening our story and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to PT.
So sorry to hear about whats going on with your beloved pigeon.

If the x-ray didn't give clear results then yes it could be an egg and not just one but possibly two UNCALCINATED eggs.

Did your hen fall or ever get some injury? Do you give calcium regularly? Is her diet a balanced one? Did your hen have egg binding issues in the past?

The tumour could be because of many other things also, like bacterial or protozoan infection so posting a clear pic might help.
Whatever the reason for tumour is...it needs to be surgically removed...m sorry

Thanks for caring so much for your hen.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

tumors are not uncommon ,in hens esp, I lost a fantail to one in the same area. she sounds too old to still have eggs, when did she last lay,? the problem would be an egg prolly could not pass since she has a mass. surgery would have to happen to try to get it all out. it is risky, so it is your choice to let her live out what she has left..which 11 is a good old age...or risk it.. hard choice but it is only yours to make.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you ask your vet to share the x-rays with a pigeon expert vet like Colin Walker at the Melbourne Bird Veterinary Clinic in Australia for a second opinion on diagnosis and treatment? Dr Walker has had telephone consultations with our members in the past and has also answered emails about pigeon illnesses.

[email protected]

http://www.melbournebirdvet.com
Thank you so much for the advice, and for the contact info of Dr. Walker!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tumors are not uncommon ,in hens esp, I lost a fantail to one in the same area. she sounds too old to still have eggs, when did she last lay,? the problem would be an egg prolly could not pass since she has a mass. surgery would have to happen to try to get it all out. it is risky, so it is your choice to let her live out what she has left..which 11 is a good old age...or risk it.. hard choice but it is only yours to make.
We would rather choose surgery for her than let her suffer with this mass in her abdomen, but the problem is there is no vet in Western Canada that could or would do this operation, and believe me we have seen many.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello and welcome to PT.
So sorry to hear about whats going on with your beloved pigeon.

If the x-ray didn't give clear results then yes it could be an egg and not just one but possibly two UNCALCINATED eggs.

Did your hen fall or ever get some injury? Do you give calcium regularly? Is her diet a balanced one? Did your hen have egg binding issues in the past?

The tumour could be because of many other things also, like bacterial or protozoan infection so posting a clear pic might help.
Whatever the reason for tumour is...it needs to be surgically removed...m sorry

Thanks for caring so much for your hen.

Thanks for your reply. She did not have any injuries, or egg binding problems in the past. We always gave her the best food and supplements. She didn't lay any eggs for a few years now, so some kind of infection is possible and I think this is the reason our vet prescribed antibiotics.

My question would be, if this is an infection, or another type of benign tumor and surgery cannot be performed, can we keep it in check with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory, and for how long?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If she indeed does have a tumor, have you considered having her euthanized before she has to suffer further? She has had many good years with you, and maybe it would be kinder to let her go on that note. She will have had a good life, and it might be the kinder thing to do. If it were one of my pets, I would rather spare her the pain and being sick. Animals live in the moment, and sometimes the heroic measures are I think, for us, rather than for them. They live for today, and they don't think much about tomorrow, or what they will miss.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks for your reply. She did not have any injuries, or egg binding problems in the past. We always gave her the best food and supplements. She didn't lay any eggs for a few years now, so some kind of infection is possible and I think this is the reason our vet prescribed antibiotics.

My question would be, if this is an infection, or another type of benign tumor and surgery cannot be performed, can we keep it in check with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory, and for how long?

Thanks again.

She may have stopped laying because of her age because fertility fades away with age and she doesn't have a mate.

If its just a benign tumor and is not growing bigger with time then your hen can live with it with discomfort though. Benign tumor is just a cyst means a tissue pack filled with fluid. Your vet can actually check it by inserting a syringe in it and taking out the inside to check if its benign tumor or an egg. As you describe that tumor is not hard I think its not malignant tumor. Benign tumor can be removed and may never develop again. So I think you should let her go through a surgery. Either she'll be free from pain or free for eternity from this discomforting body. I know its hard for you to decide...

Antibiotics,antiprotozoan and anti-inflammatory medicines can't be used for too long because they put stress on body. And the thing is we don't know the reason behind the tumor. Wrong medications may do more harm than good. Your hen may loose her appetite and gear. She may also develop a yeast/fungus infection if she's put on antibiotics for long. Pls do let us know what you decide to do..

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
We have a pigeon of something over 13 years old with a tumor in the area of the liver. He has had this for over a year. He also got a build up of fluid in the abdomen, and receives Frusol twice daily. He is not observably sick or in discomfort, has his nest and mate in a high box and flies well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If she indeed does have a tumor, have you considered having her euthanized before she has to suffer further? She has had many good years with you, and maybe it would be kinder to let her go on that note. She will have had a good life, and it might be the kinder thing to do. If it were one of my pets, I would rather spare her the pain and being sick. Animals live in the moment, and sometimes the heroic measures are I think, for us, rather than for them. They live for today, and they don't think much about tomorrow, or what they will miss.
Thanks for the advice, but she is not at the point where she cannot survive anymore or in unbearable pain. She is indeed very tired, but eating normally and happy to be around us and us loving her. She loves sleeping on our chest and petting her as long as possible, and since she doesn't have another pigeon mate she is extremely attached to us. We want to try any possible treatment, including surgery. Unfortunately as I said here in Western Canada there are no vets that would perform such an operation. I wish we could travel to Australia and Dr. Walker's clinic which is renowned for performing such surgeries, but this option is not possible for us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She may have stopped laying because of her age because fertility fades away with age and she doesn't have a mate.

If its just a benign tumor and is not growing bigger with time then your hen can live with it with discomfort though. Benign tumor is just a cyst means a tissue pack filled with fluid. Your vet can actually check it by inserting a syringe in it and taking out the inside to check if its benign tumor or an egg. As you describe that tumor is not hard I think its not malignant tumor. Benign tumor can be removed and may never develop again. So I think you should let her go through a surgery. Either she'll be free from pain or free for eternity from this discomforting body. I know its hard for you to decide...

Antibiotics,antiprotozoan and anti-inflammatory medicines can't be used for too long because they put stress on body. And the thing is we don't know the reason behind the tumor. Wrong medications may do more harm than good. Your hen may loose her appetite and gear. She may also develop a yeast/fungus infection if she's put on antibiotics for long. Pls do let us know what you decide to do..
Thanks again for the reply and advice. We also believe the tumor is not malignant since it did not affect any vital organs. The doctor could perform the syringe procedure to check it, but to no avail after that since he would not perform the surgery. Here in Vancouver vets are mostly specialized in cats and dogs and no one wants to take the risk of operating on a pigeon.

Unfortunately the antibiotics and the anti-inflamatory we gave her for the last two months put a stress on her and we discontinued for the last couple of days since she had some digestive issues.

We would also like to try some herbal alternative approaches. I read on the forum that Reishi mushroom extract has anti-tumor properties so we gonna try that. One thing we noticed is that Chamomile tea helped with the digestion and increased her appetite. If you know of any other possible herbal or alternative treatments the advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a pigeon of something over 13 years old with a tumor in the area of the liver. He has had this for over a year. He also got a build up of fluid in the abdomen, and receives Frusol twice daily. He is not observably sick or in discomfort, has his nest and mate in a high box and flies well.
Thanks for sharing your story with us.
I am happy to hear he's doing well under treatment. From what I know, Frusol is a diuretic so I'm not sure if its an option for our hen also, but we'll surely ask the doctor.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/archive/index.php/t-10568.html
THUJA OCCIDENTALIS: This is a homeopathic herb used particularly for ill effects of vaccinations, blemishes, wart, polips, flued retention, tumors of Skin, gland, etc in people. It has proved to be a wonderful remedy for Pox in pigeonsDosage: 3 small tablets for a good size pigeon, 2 for cockatiel size bird.1. For the first two days: use above dose twice a day, preferrably once in the morning and once at night.2. Thereafter: use same dose once per day.In two weeks this product will get the pox out of the organs, internally and kick the immune system in gear.
Topical treatment: You can use Thuja oil topically. This is NOT to be used around eyes or nostrils and beak. Lesions should be completely gone in 2 to 3 days.
You can use Thuja oil on EXTERNAL LESIONS only, not internal. You must use the Thuja pills for internal use.

You can use Tea Tree Oil, deluted with water for external lesions of Pox and/or Canker. Use a Q tip and soak it up and dab on lesion gently. You cannot use the tee trea oil on any open wounds. Make sure the bird cannot pick at it and ingest it. You can also use Colloidal silver on internal and external lesions, as well as Neem oil.
There's also an external laser treatment. Its painless for the bird. The bird will only feel some heat. Hope your vet agrees to do that.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hello John_D,
Thanks for sharing this with us. Could you please share how did you first discover the tumor? And have you been giving frusol for over an year?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
We would rather choose surgery for her than let her suffer with this mass in her abdomen, but the problem is there is no vet in Western Canada that could or would do this operation, and believe me we have seen many.
I guess the choice is made for you if there is no vet in western canada that could or would do this operation. I don't know of any either.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hello John_D,
Thanks for sharing this with us. Could you please share how did you first discover the tumor? And have you been giving frusol for over an year?
Hi Jass,

It was found by our avian vet with an ultrasound. Hasn't changed.

The Frusol is just coming up to a year.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Jass,

It was found by our avian vet with an ultrasound. Hasn't changed.

The Frusol is just coming up to a year.
Thanks for replying.
I was curious to know what signs and symptoms did you notice at first in your bird that you found suspicious and did ultrasound to him. Was swollen abdomen his first symptom or ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts