Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my white homers for 3-4 months now and they still have not layed eggs. They keep building their nest, he drives her to the nest but no eggs. Why do you think she does not lay? I recently got another pair of whites 2 months ago, and since then she has layed 4 eggs in total. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
857 Posts
There is a multitude of reasons why a hen might not lay, including age (to young or to old), hormonal problems, physical condition (health, under or over weight and injuries) , compatilbility with the cock and diet.
I do not know what you are feeding her, but I would try giving her an increase in protein and calcium in her diet.
Try giving her a 24% to 28% protein game bird pellet, turkey starter or hog pellet. You can purchase them at most feed mills and stores like Tractor Supply.
I would also giver her a little bit of green matter like plantain, lambs quarter, dandelion or any other greens that are edible for humans.
Keith

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If they are 3-4 months old, then you have to wait. If they are passed 5 months old then they can lay eggs. I have one right now with a baby and she mated early around 4 months. This bird haven't even ranged yet, just routed and discovered mating. So yours could either be too young or shockingly they might be both males. I have that one too-- my gay breeders.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I am confused now. How can you 100% sure it is a hen when she haven't layed an egg? Have you tried other sexing methods?

There are obviously hens that are sterile because of some genetic disease. There also hens that are too old which obviously can't have eggs anymore. If she lacks calcium, then maybe she can't form proper eggs.

We need more info. If not just switch partners and see if she lays eggs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am confused now. How can you 100% sure it is a hen when she haven't layed an egg? Have you tried other sexing methods?

There are obviously hens that are sterile because of some genetic disease. There also hens that are too old which obviously can't have eggs anymore. If she lacks calcium, then maybe she can't form proper eggs.

We need more info. If not just switch partners and see if she lays eggs.
Because i have never seen her do the "dance".
She has all the grit she needs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well...speaking from personal experience...

I built my loft and bought 5 white homer pairs....I was excited...

1 month..no eggss...2 months...no eggs...3 months...no eggs...less excited

FINALLY the 4th month I had eggs and it isn't until now the 6th month that I have had successful hatches from eggs that weren't accidentally crushed or the one baby that did hatch got accidentally flipped out of the nest becuase I was using clay saucers. Mostly my eggs got crushed or laid on a flat surface and fell down.

The only thing I can say was that for the first three months they were fighting alot over nesting spots and and who gets to perch where and whom is with whom.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have had my white homers for 3-4 months now and they still have not layed eggs. They keep building their nest, he drives her to the nest but no eggs. Why do you think she does not lay? I recently got another pair of whites 2 months ago, and since then she has layed 4 eggs in total. Any ideas why?
are they banded with the year they were hatched? if not perhaps she is an old hen and slowing down or does not lay anymore. or you have two cock birds. you may try to up the protein in the diet and add vit E, if nothing in 6 months, then I would guess it is either one of the things above.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
she has one of those clip on bands. but the guy i got them from said they are a couple of years old.
well, that could be true,.... or it could NOT be. that is why it is best to get birds that have a seemless band on them, the band can't lie.;) and it is really hard to tell the age of a bird just by looking at it after they are adults.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If your able to look her over well perhaps you may see if she was sick, like canker or egg bound.....you may never know, but I would keep a close eye on the others. I would tell you to take it to a vet and have them examine her but most people won't do that...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your able to look her over well perhaps you may see if she was sick, like canker or egg bound.....you may never know, but I would keep a close eye on the others. I would tell you to take it to a vet and have them examine her but most people won't do that...
True but i don't have the money to do all that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.