Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! New member that's been lurking for a bit. Thought I'd drop in and say hi and introduce myself. I hope to learn much from you all!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi Chaser and welcome to Pigeon Talk. Do you have birds?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! And Jenny, I believe you've posted on the wrong thread..? Sorry to hear about your little guy.
And no, no birds yet. I'm planning on building an aviary In the spring as soon as I get the pieces in order and then I'll try and track down some birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What breed of birds? Are you getting into racing, or are they just for enjoyment for you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as I'm more of an enthusiast I won't be racing them just yet. I may sometime in the future but I'm a youngster with an old spirit. I like doing things the old ways and my grandparents raised pigeons so I'm looking to do the same. I prefer the older varieties as well as they are appearing to be a dying breed such as Carneaus, Kings, and Runts. But the Lahore and Archangels are beautiful. They all are really. I'm so indecisive with these things. I see it and I want it, you know? The first three I mentioned I think are too big to even fly really so that's kind of disappointing. Giant runts just look like big bundles of joy to me so they are what I'd like but I'm open for anything as you can tell, lol.
How exactly does pigeon racing work? I know they are extremely good at homing but racing I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thank you! And Jenny, I believe you've posted on the wrong thread..? Sorry to hear about your little guy.
And no, no birds yet. I'm planning on building an aviary In the spring as soon as I get the pieces in order and then I'll try and track down some birds.
oops I am sorry, I did post on the wrong thread! I have deleted it so it doesn't cause confusion!!

and welcome to the forum :) make sure to post pictures of your birds when you get some! I have 2, both rescued from the street!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Lots of people keep fancy breeds that aren't flyers. Then some keep them to just fly around the loft and enjoy. I'm not a fan of racing, so not the one to ask about it.
There are so many breeds of pigeons, that it could be difficult to decide. They're fun though, and can be addictive. Just make the loft as big as you can, because the more room they have, the better off they will be, and it gives you more room to add the new pair that you just have to have. LOL. You can pick up a lot of info on here, and a lot of opinions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the aviary I'm building or flight cage or loft, whatever it's called, will be 7'Hx8'Lx4'W. May expand it to 8'W but I have room to grow if necessary. So I'm sure that's plenty of room for a few pairs, right?
And that's fine, thank you, Jenny! I will definitely post lots of pictures. Probably so many you guys will beg me to stop, lol. What kinds of birds do y'all have?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Notice you live in OKC. the world of wings museum is there You might visit it. There are several people that raise race birds. And the PRO club is there. The breeds you speak of probably can be found there. And there will be a large pigeon show I believe early Dec in Shawnee. Might contact Wayne haws About it Welcome to this site>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Notice you live in OKC. the world of wings museum is there You might visit it. There are several people that raise race birds. And the PRO club is there. The breeds you speak of probably can be found there. And there will be a large pigeon show I believe early Dec in Shawnee. Might contact Wayne haws About it Welcome to this site>
Thanks for the heads up! You know, I've lived her for almost five years now and I've never even heard of the world of wings museum so I will definitely be checking that out. Maybe even tomorrow! And what is the PRO club? And I've done a little bit of searching around on Craigslist and just online and have not had any luck finding any of those breeds. Seems that people only have homers in my area. Or at least, the ones that are willing to publicly announce it and sell. But once you've seen a picture of a red giant runt, it's hard to change your mind. Those are such beautiful birds. I found a lot of beautiful pictures of birds googling and the Jacobins are some of the more ridiculous ones I've seen, lol. These birds come in so many shapes and sizes and colors it's just amazing they all descended from the same bird. And thanks for the heads up about the show, I would love to check that out. Never been to one. And thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh I think you would enjoy a pigeon show. You can see many different breeds there, and even purchase some of you wanted. Really very interesting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really need to get this loft built so I can get some pigeons! How much should I expect to pay for some quality birds such as runts or kings? I know homers and racers can fetch some high prices but I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
It depends on Quality. Plus the seller. Far as race birds. Yes they can get pricey. BUT many a person will help a beginer out for free. And the AU is headguaterd in OKC near the world of wings. The pro club is a race club. There is or was a person in Garber ok that raised some rathere good kings. But there is some around OKC that do. Plus as I said most the breeds you like.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you are buying birds to just enjoy, you can get them reasonably. You aren't trying to win shows or races.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
If you are getting birds just to enjoy, please consider adopting some who are in need of homes, from shelters, animal control, rescues, Craigslist, or overstocked pigeons from local racing clubs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would love to adopt a few. I'm not picky. Just want those breeds as well but I'm open to any and all breeds. Just need to finish that coop first. And i guess you guys are right about enjoyment over show quality but it's interesting to think of showing birds. Never seen a show so I may like it and want to be part of it. I'm not looking for a hand out, that'd be great but I'm okay with spending some money to get this hobby started. I don't want to drop about $300 a bird though and I've seen some racers at that price online and it just had me a little worried. I really appreciate all the help from you all so thank you!

·
Registered
555 Posts
And that's fine, thank you, Jenny! I will definitely post lots of pictures. Probably so many you guys will beg me to stop, lol. What kinds of birds do y'all have?
oh believe me, we all love pigeons around here so the more pictures the better lol my 2 birds are rescued from the street so there's nothing "fancy" about them lol but I love them so much! the male is a feral who was attacked by some animal and the female a racer who had a broken wing and can no longer fly.

I agree with cwebster, it would be best to adopt! palomacy has some very good looking birds as well as "regular" looking ones! and some people here on the forum put fancy birds up for adoption as well :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm glad to see that you all embrace the adoption of these animals! I have heard of Palomacy before but thought they were located in San Francisco area. It's been a long day so I'm tired and will look more into it tomorrow but thank you for the tip! Can't wait to get my loft up and running and I'll just be rolling around with the pigeons like I do my dogs, lol. Hope your little ones are doing well! I have a fish with a broken fin so I can only imagine how a bird manages with that. Animals are much stronger than we give them credit for.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Palomacy is in the Bay Area of ca but there are lots of adoptable birds needing homes everywhere. Check around and you will likely find free or inexpensive birds very deserving of a good home.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Palomacy is in the Bay Area of ca but there are lots of adoptable birds needing homes everywhere. Check around and you will likely find free or inexpensive birds very deserving of a good home.
I will certainly do that! My loft will be open to any bird in need of my help. I'm just not entirely sure when that'll be, lol. But thanks for the idea and I will definitely be looking to adopt a few here and there along the way!
I may need a bigger loft already..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts