Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i am now dealing with pigeons i have 3 pigeons, i have no idea of the genders but i will learn eventually, a question to ask, how to tell the breed and gender of a pigeon i am not sure if my pigeons are tumblers,rollers or homers.

Q#2: i have had the pigeons for about a week now how long until i can let them out to fly cause the are still afraid of me, and still getting used to the enviorment. so i should give them about 2 months or so.

Q#3: How long until the breeding will commence, i wanna be successful,and do a good job.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Need some pictures

If you have homing pigeons, you may never be able to let them fly free as good homers always return (or at least try to) to their birthplace.

Virtually any other breed can be released within a month or so, that is if they are content where you have them. If their home is too small or doesn't have enough perch space, they may look for better digs. Some may stay after a week or two but it's better to wait longer.

It doesn't take alot to make them happy. My first pigeon coop (when I was 8 years old) was a 30 inch wooden box with a screen front and I managed to keep two pair returning to this box.

Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
now i have 6 pigeons, i think one of them have paired themselves what are signs of a pair( who has mated).
i checked the box and they had 4 twigs in there, what can i use as nesting material,
but i have some twigs and grasses in the cage.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Make sure that you have enough room in your loft!
The males become teritorial about their space.
A single (extra) female can destroy another females eggs (nest)
Most lofts have three compartments (or more)
Male, Female, and Young. And a sick or injured Hospital area.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trust me i figured that out, they don't like no one in that box, they attack every one near and in it other than themselves.

·
Registered
795 Posts
B09, If you could post some pictures of your pigeons, lots of folks here would be able to tell you what kind you have. If not just describe them as best as you can.
Now days, I think that just about all breeds come in all different colors, but if you could describe their physical qualities, that might help.
You might have mix breeds also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my pigeons are nesting, they started a nest they are making a circle with twigs and other grasses,they are doing a good job at it too, also what i wanted to ask they started nesting like tuesday how long until the first egg from now

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It varies

my pigeons are nesting, they started a nest they are making a circle with twigs and other grasses,they are doing a good job at it too, also what i wanted to ask they started nesting like tuesday how long until the first egg from now
But from nest building to egg laying, normally from a couple days to a week or so.

Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a pigeon egg, i am not sure which of the two pigeons laid it but one is protecting it, and the other one is out on the floor resting i think the one on the floor is the one who laid the egg.
I am so happy, the egg was laid yesturday (21st may,08)
They aren't sitting on it do you think that there is bound to be another egg.
Please reply my joy is over whelming right now.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I have a pigeon egg, i am not sure which of the two pigeons laid it but one is protecting it, and the other one is out on the floor resting i think the one on the floor is the one who laid the egg.
I am so happy, the egg was laid yesturday (21st may,08)
They aren't sitting on it do you think that there is bound to be another egg.
Please reply my joy is over whelming right now.
yes, there should be another egg tomorrow (23rd) around 4:00ish. Most pigeons do not sit on the eggs regularly until the second one is laid. This is so both eggs get incubated the same amount of time and hatch pretty close together. Once the second egg is laid, you'll be able to tell which is Daddy and which is Momma. Mom will sit on the eggs all night, up until around 10 or 11, then Dad will sit until around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. The Dads get the good end of this deal. :rolleyes: If possible, it would be nice if you can set a dish of feed right by the nest. That way Mom doesn't have to leave the eggs to eat. Don't worry about water. She will jump off the nest to get a quick drink.
Are these birds in some sort of nest box? Don't know what sort of set up you have for the birds. Anyway........if the eggs are fertile, you should have babies around June 10th or 11th.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
greatly i am going to post pictures later on, of the parents and the eggs, and i am going to take picture of there growth. and when they hatch i will not be as nosey as i want to be

1 - 20 of 27 Posts