Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new on this forum today - my main experience is of aviary birds and parrots for many years. I also have experiences with rodents (mice /rats) and some have exotic insects as pets; I currently have a pair of Giant Millipedes.

I have joined for help for some 'emergency' advice with an injured feral town pigeon and don't know where to post on here to get extra help. Though I am also interested in learning about domestic Pigeons and Doves for the future.

Would be hugely grateful if someone on here can point me where on the forum to post a pic and some info the bird to get advice. Thanks Remster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Vicious & Marina

Thanks for your replies. I have some great news - since I posted. The pigeon was part of a flock in my town that had been got at by the Sparrowhawk living in the local church tower. 5 birds where n dead- having crashed into the windows of the buildings in panic and one survived with an eye injury. I didn't expect it to survive the first night, but since then, it's perked up considerably was able to fly and showing far more interest in life. I was able to get it to my local wildlife rescue centre. They took a quick look and said that they had high hopes for 90% recovery - they planned a week's worth + of antibiotics as a precaution, some feeding up and more TLC Their initial assessment was that it probably shock and pain from the battering it took. The bad news is that it may have lost the sight in one eye, if it has, they will rehome it in one of their onsite residential aviaries with other pigeons where it can live out it's days happily. If it's poorer eye recovers, they hope to release it back in the wild as soon as is possible. A great outcome. I posted this here rather than the sick bird area, so I didn't waste too much of anybody's time - look forward to finding out more about pigeon keeping and making friends:) on here,

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing this information with us, it is just the good news you want to hear on a day like this!

I am glad you joined us as well. I am new to pigeons and birds altogether, but I have learned so much from the forum and people here. I remember you said you might be interested in future domestic pigeon keeping?

Pigeons are great and so loving in my brief experience. I definitely fell head over heels quickly. I hope you come to experience the same in time! :) Happy Thanksgiving 🍁

1 - 5 of 5 Posts