Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, nebie here, I hope you are all well.

I am very new to the world of doves, just got two doves, fantailed I was told. I will post some pics soon.

I am hoping to have them free in my garden and was advised to keep them in for 6 weeks then release one, then went confident it is returning release the other, then both. Is this advice correct?

I have a couple of questions, is the general advice on here in regards to pigeons relevent to doves ie feeding etc.

Also just read this: http://www.dovepage.com/species/domestic/Ringneck/whiteringneck.html

That states that 'white' doves have no homing instincts, is this a separate breed? I know that white dove in dovecote do 'home' ?

I have had had my doves for two and a half weeks now and they are getting very used to me and will sit besides the me and 'coo' and not appear spooked when I sit and talk to them :)

Any advice appreciated :)

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi and welcome

If they are fantails, then they are a breed of pigeon as opposed to the doves shown on the web page you put the link to.

Fantails are not great fliers and won't have the degree of homing ability that white homers would have. But, depends somewhat how old these two are and if adults, whether they might attempt to home to their previous residence.

Pigeons (incl Fantails) usually eat a different mixture to domestic doves (maize, grains, peas and other specific legumes, seeds) although a dove mix would be OK to give them for a start.

Glad they are nor unfriendly or fearful :) Pigeons get used to people pretty fast, but many are wary all the same. Guess Fantails may be generally more placid (sure someone can tell you).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are young, they could not fly properly when I got them. I got them from someone who had brought them then could not longer keep them so thats why I am a bit uncertain of the breed but was told they would 'home' ok. Will get some pics on in a bit :)

Thank you for the reply :)

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi

I got

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

when I logged in to f/book

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Those are pigeons. And if you let them out, they could try to "home" back to where they came from. They aren't fantails, but could be a mix. Don't know how much tail they have from the pics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MMmm even more confused, no they have not got huge tails although more spread than the 'average' pigeon. If they were adults would they not just have flew off when I got them, they were in an open topped box and I carried them to my shed then just picked them up! a bit of flapping but certainly no flying, that was 2 and half weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
their wings are clipped i can see that in the pic's thats why they can't fly...both have half of their primary feather gone i can see that in pic's thats why they can't fly ,these birds are at least over a year old..

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
their wings are clipped i can see that in the pic's thats why they can't fly...both have half of their primary feather gone i can see that in pic's thats why they can't fly ,these birds are at least over a year old..

Hadn't even noticed that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh dear :(

May have to rehome them to someone in that case. I don't have the room for them to be enclosed permantly.

Seems like I been conned slightly, although they didn't cost much, next to nothing, I have grown very attached :( why would someone lie about this and not gain money? it's very strange.

I'm not normally one to part with any pet but if I cannot provide the care they deserve it would be heartbreaking. :( They are too gorgeous for anything less.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
where are you keeping them now? you can keep inside you know..they make great house pets too...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are currently in a large rabbit hutch LOL was planning to get a dovecote.

These pidgy nappies are sooooo cute! The thing is I would have a hard job keeping them in, I have three young children, aged 8,7 and 2 who are in and out of the garden like yo yos LOL I do not have a spare room to keep them in either :(

Feeling a bit down about it to be honest, I was so looking forward to having them in the garden :(

To add insult to injury the person who I brought them from is advertising more, on preloved, after telling me through a friend he needed to get rid of all his 'doves'. I called him today, he made every excuse in the book of course!

This is his current ad : http://www.preloved.co.uk/eu?qs=Jfk...aZYx0t6GeWuab-MV7nbaidqjE-03c9ZmmfiDQsREODUfA

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i just looked at the add..there was no picture that i saw, but he sure doesn't know a pigeon from a dove..and if you have them in a rabbit hutch now why not keep them in there in your garden? you just can't let them out or they may fly away..like said before if you have a " pair" hen & cock they may have babies, you could let them out eventually...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No there's no pic, but he does state Doves.

He probably resells them when they return!

If they have babies I could let the parents out too then? Would they all stay together?

I feel a bit cruel keeping them in such a small area, I don't even have my rabbits and guinea pigs in hutches all day :)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
they may stay after they have young and feel that this is HOME and a safe place. you show them love FOOD and water they may just stay.. but i would wait to let them out after their young can fly and she is sitting on the second clutch of eggs. that way they know to come back they have another family to raise...but like i said before and has others they may not...it is souly up to you, if parents do fly away you'll have the babies..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts