Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this earlier in another thread and it was suggested that I repost in a new thread, so that more people might be able to help :)

Hi I am new here, and I am clueless about taking care of a bird that is staying with me for awhile.

thanks
beth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Small update:
I purchased a 7 foot high enclosed entertainment center today that I placed far away from any possible jumping points for my cats. I have placed the bird cage up there and plan on only feeding him up there. I hope that he takes the hint that is now his nest?
I also read that indoor birds are afraid of operating ceiling fans and I have one in my bedroom. The only problem is that he normally walks in there and then jumps on my bed at this point, but would he take flight @ some point while I was sleeping. Or is the fear/prey instinct strong enough to protect him?
It is hard to explain but I really can not handle locking him away, even for short time periods.
Once again thank you.
beth

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you have to...his saftey depends on it.....he will not be scared for life in a place of his own to be safe and have his perch and food and water, how are you dealing with the poop.. I for one am impressed you did not even mention it. :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sounds like he thinks of you as his mate.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
that's what i was thinking charis, he views you as his mate and is trying to drive everyone away from you to keep you safe:D cause he loves you!
you should feel very flattered!!
anyways, he can't be released, where are you locatated maybe we can try to find a home for him, birds and cats don't mix.
i wouldn't allow him out at all with other animals in the same room.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
oh, and nooo caffine, it can kill them, so maybe when you put your cup down you can place a paper towel or a saucer over it

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
also water bottles don't work for doves and pigeons like they do for parrots, he needs a nice bowl that's deep enough for him to get his beak all the way in.
plus he might like a big bowl at least once a week to take a bath in

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you have to...his saftey depends on it.....he will not be scared for life in a place of his own to be safe and have his perch and food and water, how are you dealing with the poop.. I for one am impressed you did not even mention it. :)
Actually I'm kind of shy about posting. But he's pooping on my books :(
I take care of worse for a living so I just keep chasing after him with a brisk broom. That and I kind of hoped that once I find a healthier diet he might stop ****ting so much.
I have a small room with a window that rarely gets used that may become his fort. And because God has an ironic sense of humor thats where I keep my vacuum, brooms and mop:) It even has a comfortable broken in chair and table since he does not believe he is a bird.
Once again thank you guys:)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
btw he sounds super cool, and a great pet to have. how about posting some pictures for us.
i'm not sure about dove behavior but i know with my hookbills, when they are bad they don't get attention, i will say no and turn my back to them and ignore them, if i make a big stink about it they like that and think it's fun and loud, they like loud, loud is fun, lol.
i always try to encourage good behavior with praise , sweet talk, excitement, treats and attention

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also water bottles don't work for doves and pigeons like they do for parrots, he needs a nice bowl that's deep enough for him to get his beak all the way in.
plus he might like a big bowl at least once a week to take a bath in
Is that why he keeps trying to land in my bath and dish water while it's draining? I gave him him a solid ceramic water bowl for bathing and a separate water dish as the books advised. But I'm beginning to believe he is just ornery.
Until I can come up with a better solution I'm drinking my tea from a plastic WAWA traveling mug. Plastic ruins tea, by the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I told a friend I'd post a picture of Krazy Dove over the weekend. So I'll post one of him too. Thanx for asking:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maybe he needs his own cup of weak herbal tea, maybe someone can suggest what kind
uh uh I am not teaching him that its ok to drink tea uh uh
I will take a shower with him, sleep with him, but no I'm not making him tea. Especially while I'm using a plastic mug. No

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello Dreamdanze. I glad you came back to us. Lots of great help here isn't there. Please don't ever feel embarrassed about talking about poop. A change in poop is often one of the indicators that "something" is not quite right. Many a member will want a description, even pictures of it, to help diagnose a problem. You mentioned getting him on a healthier diet. What is he eating now? If he is eating stuff other than seeds, that could be the reason for messier poops. Check out the link for PGWear. It is a great invention!! I'm sure with all the fabric choices, you could find one to match his feisty personality:D I laughed reading yours and Altgirls posts about tea. I read somewhere on this forum, (maybe under Philodice's??? Can do a search), about Chamomile Tea for the calming effect. Maybe after y'all have your shower, a nice cup of tea before y'alls nap will help settle him:p down. I just love your story, and I'm happy the two of you are together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts