Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kit of young rollers are flying too high in my opinion and i'm losing quite a lot of birds each year. Where I live there are numerous birds of prey like Hawks, crows etc. that attack and kill my birds. The hawks do this from a dizzy height as observed by binoculars.

At times I can hardly see the specs in the sky.
Is there any method to curb this high flying?

Thanks in advance for any replies to my question.

·
Registered
499 Posts
birds fly high

My kit of young rollers are flying too high in my opinion and i'm losing quite a lot of birds each year. Where I live there are numerous birds of prey like Hawks, crows etc. that attack and kill my birds. The hawks do this from a dizzy height as observed by binoculars.

At times I can hardly see the specs in the sky.
Is there any method to curb this high flying?

Thanks in advance for any replies to my question.
dear stony,-geese have been spotted at 20,000ft.,hawks that I have seen soaring high-into cloud level to escape pesky crows,i would think pigeons have evolved to stay closer to the ground-say 1000ft[homers],-pigeons eyesight is very well adapted to spotting danger,-my ferrals eat very fast and take off,and come back after looking all around the area.-as far as limiting their flight behavior-all I can say is they adapt to a particular situation,but a lone pigeon can easily be on the radar of any predator,even a cat..the local feral crows are well adapted to harassing any hawk/s.-they will give their lives to save crow babies--or-the general area..--does this help??-sincerely james waller:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually seen how the hawk slams into a roller from above. These birds are far too easy prey for the hawks. If they 'chose' to fly lower then there might be a possible escape but i guess i may be mistaken.

·
Registered
27 Posts
STONY--it has to be bred in them.i had great low rollers.they were a real joy .flew from pen to pen and rolled nice.they were easy to train their first time out to stay on pen. bred by ralph heiser in around orwigsburg or new ringgold,pa. but he passed away.don't know anyone tht breeds them this way.i later on bought some from another man and they were too high to enjoy.junk.there are pigeon sites on facebook where you can join and ask where to get them.or you can join hoobly and inquire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts