Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I raised this baby..
and he was introduced with few other ferals that i raised.. the released ones..
so 7 days ago baby left with them.. it took few attempts but he did leave..
7 days later he came back.. out of the blue, on my window..
now i took him in.. he ate, he drinked. and then he just fell a sleep.

now i have a tendancy to cuddle with him, and just watch him... i spend hours staring at him.. just cause he so beautiful.

well i noticed, he keeps moving hs crop, u know when pigeons have a lot to eat thats what he's doing..
but in a weird way...
when i tried to touch it he is little hesitant and he never was..
crop is hard, not rock hard but just hard. is it possible that he over ate???
he did have water, and i did try to just easyly press on it..
its midnight now and he came in around 5 pm, and his poop was dark.. imprioving hour by hour..
my question is why is his crop hard, he did eat a nice meal....
im afraid that his crop looks little swollen
have you guys ever had any issues like this???
i never once did?
so what do i do?
if its hard in the morning? what do i do?

ps. he is also little unstable..flies well, but like he is weak, i cant explain it.. like he's drun, tipsy is the word.. not all the time but at some moments or maybe its just my eyes that are wrong..
any suggestions and ideas what this might be?

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Goga82,

You should isolate him into an observation Cage, or, a comfortable Cardboard Box with look-out Holes at his Eye level, if you do not have a Cage to use.

Use white paper Towels for the bottom...which will allow you so see and count the poops.

Canker, or Candida or some Bacterial infections can cause a slowing or stoppage of the Crop, so it does not pass the food...and, this also usually results in some odd ways of stretching the Neck up or doing odd side to side motions of the head and neck.

Foreign object in the Crop, or a contusion of the Crop when full, can do this also, as well as lead to the other three illnesses.

With-hold food for now...and for the next few days.

And, if you can, provide ACV-Water for his drinking ( Three Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to a Gallon of Water ).

See how or if his Crop is passing...see how much poop is getting made.

If you can, post some images of him, and, some good close up images of his poops.

If he seems to be over-drinking, and getting his Crop too full of the ACV-Water, withdraw his Water cup also, and wait.

In fact, it would be best to allow drinking only when the Water Cup is offered, and make sure he is not overfilling his Crop.

If you can, also, carefully examine his Crop and chest and neck, looking for any small Scabs under the Feathers. These can be hard to find or feel.

If he was shot with a BB or Pellet, it could lead to a static Crop, Bacterial infection, and or Candida or Canker also.

Let us know what you find...

Post those images, also.

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Goga82,

You should isolate him into an observation Cage, or, a comfortable Cardboard Box with look-out Holes at his Eye level, if you do not have a Cage to use.

Use white paper Towels for the bottom...which will allow you so see and count the poops.

Canker, or Candida or some Bacterial infections can cause a slowing or stoppage of the Crop, so it does not pass the food...and, this also usually results in some odd ways of stretching the Neck up or doing odd side to side motions of the head and neck.

Foreign object in the Crop, or a contusion of the Crop when full, can do this also, as well as lead to the other three illnesses.

With-hold food for now...and for the next few days.

And, if you can, provide ACV-Water for his drinking ( Three Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to a Gallon of Water ).

See how or if his Crop is passing...see how much poop is getting made.

If you can, post some images of him, and, some good close up images of his poops.

If he seems to be over-drinking, and getting his Crop too full of the ACV-Water, withdraw his Water cup also, and wait.

In fact, it would be best to allow drinking only when the Water Cup is offered, and make sure he is not overfilling his Crop.

If you can, also, carefully examine his Crop and chest and neck, looking for any small Scabs under the Feathers. These can be hard to find or feel.

If he was shot with a BB or Pellet, it could lead to a static Crop, Bacterial infection, and or Candida or Canker also.

Let us know what you find...

Post those images, also.

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas

he pooped about 15 times in last few hours.. at first when he came in.. poop was dark. no urates in it.
now that he had water and ate, i see white around it.. but still really dark more lie dark green..

he ate wild bird seeds when he came in, and some bread as well.. he loves bread.
hasnt stoped moving his crop . been more than 2 hours..
i think i hear things pop inside. like burps of the crop..
i honestly think he's in pain with this..
checked under feathers.. for scars. even had them wet little bit so i can see better but nothing..

i cant lose this bird.. i hope this aint deadly.. i love him too much.

ok i just got pooped on,and his poop isnt dark solid anymore, its liqidy, getting lighter.
i moved stuff around in his crop.
looks like one side. his right side is little enlarged..
friend of mine thinks it might be some type of trauma from the impact..
he sleeps a lot
thats all he wants to do since he came back

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Close up, in focus, Images of the poops?

Also, sit down, Towel draped on your Lap...under some good strong light...

Open his Beak, look into his Throat...everything should be a nice 'pink', and clean...

If not, let us know what, mucious, yellowy material, whatever.

Smell his Breath also, when you have his Beak wide open...get your Nise right into his Beak, and se if any smells or odor.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Close up, in focus, Images of the poops?

Also, sit down, Towel draped on your Lap...under some good strong light...

Open his Beak, look into his Throat...everything should be a nice 'pink', and clean...

If not, let us know what, mucious, yellowy material, whatever.

Smell his Breath also, when you have his Beak wide open...get your Nise right into his Beak, and se if any smells or odor.
checked his thrat, nothing, dont smell at all, pictures coming soon.. its 2 am and i just checked on him .. still trying to move the crop, still hard...
just sleeping....

·
Registered
227 Posts
i'd personally give him a little olive oil to soften things up a bit

you can also add a heating pad to half of his box/cage, and avoid any drafts.
glad that his throat was clear.
also rememeber dont massage too much or too hard as you can irritate the inside of the crop.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are the picture.. as u can see the swelling of the crop .. and his throat isnt ok.. like its filled with air. if i try to move my fingers down his throat i hear air poping, also i dont know the name of it ut im a call it an adams apple, its really stickin out.. i thin something wrong with his throat, the whole upper body

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
here is another one.. ya'll can see the throat stickin out.. that one bone just all out there

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Goga,

Images are appearing nicely now.

Well, from what I can gather from your descriptions, and, from the images...

If it were me, I would be treating for Canker, and, Candida, and I would begin as soon as possible.

Some food is passing, or was, since we see definite and normal amounts of fecal matter in the poops.

The urates are curdled looking and yellowish, which impirically, is good-enough for me to begin treating for Canker.

I would with-hold food for a few days.

The usual medicines for Canker, would be Metronidazole or Carnidazole or Ronidazole.

The usual Medicine for Candida, would be Medistatin, or Nystatin ( though the ACV-Water will help, and will also help the Canker Meds to work better).

I would also very likely give an antibiotic also, such as Baytril.

Do you have any of these Medicines on hand?

And, do you know how to administer them in solution, via "The Tube'', into the Crop?

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Goga,

Images are appearing nicely now.

Well, from what I can gather from your descriptions, and, from the images...

If it were me, I would be treating for Canker, and, Candida, and I would begin as soon as possible.

Some food is passing, or was, since we see definite and normal amounts of fecal matter in the poops.

The urates are curdled looking and yellowish, which impirically, is good-enough for me to begin treating for Canker.

I would with-hold food for a few days.

The usual medicines for Canker, would be Metronidazole or Carnidazole or Ronidazole.

The usual Medicine for Candida, would be Medistatin, or Nystatin ( though the ACV-Water will help, and will also help the Canker Meds to work better).

I would also very likely give an antibiotic also, such as Baytril.

Do you have any of these Medicines on hand?

And, do you know how to administer them in solution, via "The Tube'', into the Crop?

Phil
Lv
will start him on the caner med asap, no other meds i have on hand.. have one lady in pittsburgh that said that she might be able to supply me with some...
he is pooping ok, keep having his eyes closed tho.. it is 3 am but still sometimes he dont even acknowledge that im there,, keeps on sleeping.
he looks lathargic, and somewhat dissoriented... like he really out of all his energy...
i feel as if the crop size is coming down but his thrat is whats messing him up.. if a bone is broken he would probably be dissabled by now..
he just flew of my table 15 min ago, fine. landed just fine.

when he is awake he wants to preen my hands, and enjoys being petted.
he really is the best pigeon i ever had...

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Keep him in his Cage.

Third time now of asking - have you prepared and offered the ACV-Water?

2nd time in asking - do you know how to administer Medicines in solution, directly into the Crop?

It will be no good to merely pop a pill or tablet into his mouth, the way things are.

What medicine do you have for Canker? And what form is it in? And or what dosage?

Supply supplimental warmth...draped Cage...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dont have an apple c vinegar on hand right now, will first thingin the morning... he just had a drink of regular water... im a let him rest for the night ...
it just might be nothing, maybe im just paranoid.. but something dont loo right with his neck.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Keep him in his Cage.

Third time now of asking - have you prepared and offered the ACV-Water?

2nd time in asking - do you know how to administer Medicines in solution, directly into the Crop?

It will be no good to merely pop a pill or tablet into his mouth, the way things are.

What medicine do you have for Canker? And what form is it in?
directly in the crop i never done that,, i do have surringes on hand. and i have metro on hand for canker.... iv administered meds by mouth never directly in the crop.. and dont have acv on hand ...
i can disolve it??? its in tablet form...and he is in the cage

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
dont have an apple c vinegar on hand right now, will first thingin the morning... he just had a drink of regular water... im a let him rest for the night ...
it just might be nothing, maybe im just paranoid.. but something dont loo right with his neck.

If you do not wish to take seriously what I have been offering, I will be glad to remove myself from your thread.

I have already explained three times what this is, and, also, given the names of the illnesses.

"It just might be nothing?"

Your Pigeon has a combination of illnesses which will be fatal, and soon, unless he is allowed/given a correct regimin of Medical treatment.

None of what I am saying or asking is irrelevent.

I have been outlining the Medical Regimin you need to do.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
directly in the crop i never done that,, i do have surringes on hand. and i have metro on hand for canker.... iv administered meds by mouth never directly in the crop.. and dont have acv on hand ...
i can disolve it??? its in tablet form...and he is in the cage

Remove all Water.

Please do not offer any more Water for the time being, untill instructed to do so.

The dosage a Tablet contains?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you do not wish to take seriously what I have been offering, I will be glad to remove myself from your thread.

I have already explained three times what this is, and, also, given the names of the illnesses.

"It just might be nothing?"

Your Pigeon has a combination of illnesses which will be fatal, and soon, unlkess he is allowed/given a correct regimin of Medical treatment.

I have been outlining the Medical Regimin you need to do.

Do you just not understand the replies I have been making?
ohhh i understand but i really i dont need an attitude from nobody right now, i dont know what i can do at this moment???? i dont have meds on hand, i dont have acv on hand either. It is 3 am rite now. Im comforting myself by sayin maybe its nothing.. im the one that has to go to sleep with the sick bird in the house....
im askin people i know in pitt if they have any meds ,,, nobody is replying cause it is 3 am.

i really dont know what to do...
and u think im not taking this seriously...
wow
does it look like im taking this is a joke..
so i said it might be nothing..

excuse meeee

1 - 20 of 45 Posts