Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Otherwise known as "blackhead" in chickens, turkey's, peafowl and pheasants :confused:
Brought one of my birds in last weekend because she was looking a little "down". She was still eating, drinking and flying - but a little slower than normal. I had just wormed everyone the week before with Ivermectin.
Good weight but her first poop inside was florescent green and yellow :eek:
Gave her a dose of pyrantel and started her on Baytril.
Waiting for results of culture and sensitivity and gram stain. Vet agreed with her treatment while waiting for results.
Fecal float came back today - histomonas meleagridis, moderate 15/30. So I've learned that this is a protozoan parasite that is carried by earthworms, Order-Trichomonadida, Family- Monocercomonadidae.
I'm getting conflicting treatment advise. So I've been researching this all afternoon at work. Ronidazole seems to be at the top of the treatment list. I'm going to treat my whole loft with this - won't hurt.
Say's that it is common in chicken's and that they don't usually show any signs or have a problem with it. With Turkey's, on the other hand, it can be fatal. They say this is the main reason different birds should NOT be housed together.
Anyone have any experience with this in pigeons? Treatments?

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
'Emtryl', aka Dimetridazole...was the usual resort for 'Blackhead', also for Canker, Giardia, and others, any Avian species...

I think Emtryl is hard to find now.

Dunno if any of the other 'zoles' would do for this though.

Edit:

Maybe might be able to get Dimetridazole by prescription...otherwise, used to be five bucks a big packet at any Farm and Feed Store... it got banned from too zealous of use for 'food' Animals too close to slaughter-time...like many other fine Medicines have...it's a shame...

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that and I don't know anything about it and I hope you keep us updated and I will try to look into it a bit too and let you know if I find anything. I sure hope your bird is going to be okay and hope it gets over this--sounds serious--c.hert

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If it is any help, chevi-col is dimetridazole (it doesn't seem to say it on the site, but it is on the box I have). Each sachet contains 1.0g dimetridazole. But there was a problem with dimetridazole, as far as I can gather from a quick search it was used as a prophylactic on meat producing animals and was found to be carcinogenic to humans, so it may not be available in the US.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
This looks hopeful, although the tests were for a prophylactic as the birds were dosed before infection ( have not copied and scanned the whole article):

The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of a herbal product with extracts from cinnamon, garlic, lemon, and rosemary on H. meleagridis in turkey poults in vivo....

Since all effective prophylactic and therapeutic drugs against histomoniasis were banned in the EU, under given conditions the investigated herbal product seems to be an effective alternative for the reduction of mortality in turkeys caused by histomoniasis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17036753

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Articles say that this is usually picked up from the worm eggs in the soil, which can survive in the soil for months and years.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is any help, chevi-col is dimetridazole (it doesn't seem to say it on the site, but it is on the box I have). Each sachet contains 1.0g dimetridazole. But there was a problem with dimetridazole, as far as I can gather from a quick search it was used as a prophylactic on meat producing animals and was found to be carcinogenic to humans, so it may not be available in the US.
Thanks Feefo, I've been researching this for 3 days now! Doesn't give much info about pigeon's (treatment and prognosis)- mostly chicken's(live with it and spread it-reason why you don't put other birds with chickens) and turkey's (mostly die from it). Treatment is with Nitroimidazoles such as - ronidazole, ipronidazole and dimetridazole (metronidazole is also in this family). I have ronidazole and metronidazole, and treated the loft just in case.
I have a "walk-in" flight cage with stone dust over sand floor (10" deep now) on top of wire mesh in the ground. Cannot afford to raise up the floor, and even if I could, there is no way I could clean under the mesh - there wouldn't be enough height. So I have to find a way to deal with it. Suggestions were to mix lime and diatomatous(sp) earth into the soil OR cover with concrete (which I'm considering) The flight pen gets full sun all day, so moisture would not be a problem, so if I poured it on a slight slant it would make cleaning alot easier! Although, I have not seen 1 earthworm in the flight pen especially on "stone dust" :confused:
She's doing great, but culture and sensitivity and gram stain are still in "process". I'm keeping her inside in isolation and still on baytril.
Thank you for all your input. :)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
All our reference books only mention the diseases that are common to pigeons (although that is understandable - if they included every possibility they would go on for ever) so it is quite frightening to come across something that they don't cover.

Although this condition must be very rare in pigeons I will have to make a note of the symptoms that you describe and hang on to my Dimetridazole if they ban it in the UK, because I have seen earthworms in the aviary occasionally - great big ones! - and the wood pigeons might be tempted to eat them in the breeding season when they supplement their diet with molluscs.:eek:

It is, perhaps, fortunate that it is well known in the poultry industry and that the vet was therefore able to recognise it.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I raised a day old hatched American Robin years ago. When he was a fledgling (and it wasn't until then that we found out he had deformed feet and legs), he vomited up a pile of (what looked like) roundworms. I raised him on bait worms and crickets.
The avian vet that I took him to told me that he could not be released because of his deformity (he was bonded with me anyway - and me with him!) but anyway, and that I need to switch him over to puppy food - Because they get these roundworms from earthworms. He gave him an injection of Ivomec, which almost killed him.
"Baby" lived "free flying" in my house for 13 years on puppy food, and never got worms again :)
That's my only experience with this type of worm.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Articles say that this is usually picked up from the worm eggs in the soil, which can survive in the soil for months and years.
I did read that, but it only stated months.
Supposedly lyme and diatomatous earth mixed in with the soil is suppose to help. OR it said replace with concrete floor.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Okay, here it is. Think the concrete would be a good idea. Don't know.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203000.htm

Three species of earthworms can harbor H gallinarum larvae containing H meleagridis , which are infective to both chickens and turkeys. H meleagridis survives for long periods within Heterakis eggs, which are resistant and may remain viable in the soil for years.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, here it is. Think the concrete would be a good idea. Don't know.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203000.htm

Three species of earthworms can harbor H gallinarum larvae containing H meleagridis , which are infective to both chickens and turkeys. H meleagridis survives for long periods within Heterakis eggs, which are resistant and may remain viable in the soil for years.
Thanks Jay, That's one of the articles I printed out the other day. Guess I missed the part about "years" :eek: The other 3 articles stated month's but longer in wet soil.
With my "setup" it's impossible to put raised up mesh on the floor, so I'm going to go with the concrete. Guess I'll use "quick crete" and close up the birds in the loft for a day :(

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry you are having this problem. It must be awful. And you just finished that aviary a short time ago. Quickcrete can get kind of expensive. At least with cement, you'll still have the walk in aviary. I'd love that.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry you are having this problem. It must be awful. And you just finished that aviary a short time ago. Quickcrete can get kind of expensive. At least with cement, you'll still have the walk in aviary. I'd love that.
Well it won't be as much as lumber and mesh! Also, it will be much easier to clean especially if I pour it on a slant! Then I can spray it with nolvasan and hose it off.
I really need to find a man for "around the house" :rolleyes::D ...All my friends tell me I'd make a great husband!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well it won't be as much as lumber and mesh! Also, it will be much easier to clean especially if I pour it on a slant! Then I can spray it with nolvasan and hose it off.
I really need to find a man for "around the house" :rolleyes::D ...All my friends tell me I'd make a great husband!
LOL. That'll be great when you get it done. And easy to take care of. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts