Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I'd been chasing two male stringfoots and a female pigeon whose foot has just been deteriorating (needs wings to walk) without any string (I know their gender because here, it seems to be mating time, and all the males are cooing, and all the females are being "driven") when I saw this guy:

His feathers were sticking up really weird, and in the wind, it looked like he had a bullet in his back! So, his name became Bullet. I came back today, and caught him! At first I thought it was just poop, but now, I'm just not too sure. Is it some weird growth? Cancer (oh please no!)? Infection?

Here's the close up:

Yes, it is attached to his skin.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Where is that on the bird. On his crop?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Looks like a wound that is trying to push infection out. Bird pus is solid, and doesn't ooz like in humans. Is it hard? I've seen canker lumps that look kind or like that that come out of birds also.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. It's hard. I disinfected it with some saline water, and then just put him in a cage with loads of feed and water. He's very intent on... getting out, always has his head through the bars. :D He's so cute! Just one of those ones you realllllyyyy wanna keep!!!! (Theres some pigeons there, so tame and so beautiful, that if I didn't care about their say in it, I'd take them right away! Recently, I've caught so many females with minor injuries, and had to let them go :( lol)
On a side note, TWO more days 'till the babies hatch!!!! I'm so scared they won't hatch :"( )

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
A vet should look at that bird.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It looks a bit like pox and canker lumps I've seen, but because of the position on the back, I think its more likely to be a result of an injury. It kind of looks like an abscess that's well on its way to healing-something like that.

What kind of condition is he in otherwise?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Is there any sign of an entrance wound anyplace else on the Pigeon ? Look thru his/her feathers everywhere and see.

Check for canker,. as Bella and Jay say...

So...you caught her/him...so, she cannot fly ?

You have antibiotics, right ? Start her on something....Cipro, Amoxycillin, Trimeth Sulpha...whatever you have...I cannot remember what kind you have. If you need dosages lemme know.

Besides that, how is her weight ? Skinny ? Does she eat on her own ? Do the wings work ? Can he/she walk ?

Good catch, let's try to figure this one out.....

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Is it on the joint where the wing connects to the body?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting so quickly every1!!!
Other than this thing, he/she's very healthy! Usually, I check for canker, but I forgot to this time, I'll check. A bit skinny, but what can you expect from a street pigeon :D Has no fleas, despite some pretty... uuhhh... chewed up flights. Eats on her own, can fly perfectly, walks perfectly, wonderful condition really! Also isn't pooped on (the birds at DufferinFlock are). Has the nicest colours, like Tyson, black, white flights, but he also has these three wonderful spots on his rump (LOVE THEM). He can fly, I've become a bit awesome at catching pigeons (If I do say so myself).
I know the dosage, so I'll get to that triple sulfa.
@Charis, no, its a bit closer to the centre of the back, but almost at the joint.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She (I think shes a she, because November was really ogling at her during his three times a day flight around my room, of course, I didn't let him close, but he was really interested in her lol) is doing great, she is very alert, has shiny and nice eyes, no canker, pretty good feathers... *sigh* so pretty. About the lump... there isn't any wound (that I can see) just the stuff. Very co-operative too, lets me open her mouth, and doesn't try to gag/spit/whatever you call it the TS.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
OK, that'sgood.

Is the growth soft or hard ? When you manipulate it, does it seem to cause discomfort* ?

*in the Pigeon, not you ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's gross and hard, not crumbly like poo... More like... Idk, a very hard lump of clay! If she has a problem with me touching it, she doesn't show it too.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It's gross and hard, not crumbly like poo... More like... Idk, a very hard lump of clay! If she has a problem with me touching it, she doesn't show it too.
Be curious to see what's under it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm really wondering, it sorta just... Comes out of her :O probably some cut…but idk, this reminds me of poor Tufty :( (just much less severe, of course!)
Bullet's photo on deviantart got 2 faves, 3 comments, and multiple adding to pigeon groups! That photogenic pigeon!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Jaye could be on the right track, and your choice of name could be very appropriate.
It may well be an airgun pellet which fortunately doesent look as if its done the bird any serious harm (apart from the wound obviously).
The pellet could still be inside & the mass is formed over it.
or It may have worked its way out & the mass is just the resulting healing of the wound.
Another possibility is that the pellet is encased with the mass as the pigeon tries to expells it from its body.
Ive actually seen a bird (a crow) with a wound like this & the mass did eventually come away on its own, with a lead pellet inside it, leaving new skin below, much the same as a human wound forms a scab.
Without an x-ray or closer examination by a vet it would be difficult to judge, but if it isnt obviously bothering the bird, dont try and pull it off, as this may leave an open wound.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I think it will come off when it's ready.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts