Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home Made Release Display Cage
I've built a special display cage that has two layers and allows the birds to be very visible. Here are the pics
FRONT VIEW

SIDE VIEW

BACK VIEW

BACK VIEW OPEN

I'd kept the dowel's out of one of our kids cribs for almost nine years now..lol Always knew they would come in handy. Now I'm thinking who do I know that has a baby who's crib I can steel ;)
KIDDING! You can buy them fairly cheep at most second hand furniture stores or any place that folks donate furniture and clothing to. If you know of such a place in your area go see them and ask if they'd hold onto a crib for you because some places just send them to the dump because they take up too much room.
How's It Made?
I took three equal sized pieces of pine shelving (3/4 inch thick plywood would work well) and the 22" dowels were inserted into holes drilled along the pines edge. You will need help putting the dowels in place. Add the side boards and then the rear and then your loading and release doors at the back. I used those really long hinges and cut them to length. Two handles are needed for the release doors so you can open them with ease and two latches so they stay closed. Drywall screws work well you'll need small ones to put into the top and bottom of the dowels to hold them in place and you'll need to pre-drill the dowels ends so they don't split. They are always made of hard wood. Glue with sawdust will fill in any holes ect and paint it well with a oil based paint so it's highly washable :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thats cool, people can see the birds before they are released. good idea! are you going to paint it?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Oh wow, that's really neat! I really like that sign on top :) I think it'd be cool to make something like that for when we do our pigeon promotion thing, so we won't have to mess with all those wire show cages. Setting up tables, putting down paper towels, and trying to stack sections is a pain.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like the concept and you did a great job building it. Is this mainly for display only or is it for release too? Birds will get confused where to go out if they can see on on side and the other side completely blocked off plus the door would be too small considering how many birds you can keep in there. Atleast try to make the whole back open for release.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Wow, is that nice !! I see it says Sudbury Doves at the top. It this for actual ringneck doves, or for white homers for release? Friend of mine does white dove (actually homers) release, but has a few white Indian Fantails for display at the releases.
Daryl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts