Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this little one going on another thread because he has splayed leg.
can anyone identify.
in the pic with 2 babies the one on the left is an older feral baby i have in for rehab.
it hard to tell but the feral is much smaller than the other even though he is older, the little splay babe has a much larger body, big eyes and big beak, look at the size of those nares!! lol
he's so cute and sweet.
would also like to know if it would be okay to let him live the free life with the ferals when it's time to be released.
could he be a hybrid???

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If he was found in 'the wild', then chances are it isn't a pure homer, although it does look a LOT like one. It's hard to tell a feral from a homer during this stage, but once they feather out completely, you can generall tell.
If he is released with others into a feral flock, he should get used to the feral life.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I think he would be feral half because he tends to have a blackish beak which i notice on ferals and usually blackish feet also..But i cant see his feet in the pictures also i tend to see that ferals have smaller beak and dark feathers in alot of them i see. thats why i think half feral half homer.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
A dark beak is typical in blue birds, but black skin and feathers from the very beginning, is caused by nothing more than the dirty gene. Although that is pretty common in ferals now (as it's a dominant trait), it can pop up in any domestic breeds as well.
But you are right, definitely has some homer in him. You usually don't see a pair of homers in a feral flock, who would produce more pure homers. It's possible, but generally single birds get lost and pair up with ferals.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know we have about 4 guys in gloucester maybe more that have racers, one of them is coming over t'mrrw to take a look at him.
i have no idea if any of the flocks around here have homers in the mix or not, we have alot of different flocks around.
i know last year when i got a homer that had been hit by a car, he was hanging out with the car wash piji's

G

·
i know we have about 4 guys in gloucester maybe more that have racers, one of them is coming over t'mrrw to take a look at him.
i have no idea if any of the flocks around here have homers in the mix or not, we have alot of different flocks around.
i know last year when i got a homer that had been hit by a car, he was hanging out with the car wash piji's
the problem is so few homers actually make it in the wild or you would see them everywhere as so many get lost during the race seasons ,that and Im sure a feral cock competing with a homer cock for a mate would most likely win out in the mating game ..so chances are ferals remain ferals and homers struggle to survive out in the wild:(

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have an adopted feral pigeon (dark bird w/fleck) he is tame, but there is definitely a difference in bill length, and even size with my homer cross. I wonder if they can "coomunicate?" since their vocals sound different.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i guess i'll just have to play this one by ear, we have a few hurdles to overcome before i can even think about a release, still a baby, and has major splay leg.
if i do release him, he will always have food and fresh water to come home to.
my guy is building a little shelter in the eve's for them. they can be with the feral's on the boulevard they are maybe a 5 minute flight away, and if they go the other way there is another flock on the big bridge goin into gloucester, and if they go the other way there are always the piji's i see on the wires down the highway a ways.
then again maybe the guy who's comin to see him t'mrrw will want him

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh and if they cross the harbor to the paint factory he will find his parents and possible siblings

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol, i need no more pets!! lol, i got 4 parrots and 7 cockatiels and i rehab hundreds of songbirds a year, and usually a few wild mammals.
my guys are wild (feral) that were found by the public here and there and will hopefully end up joining a flock once they mature.
we are going to have something for them to get protection from the weather, and i will keep food and water out for them as long as they need it.
i have thought about a loft, worries me a bit, i have alot going on here with the wild birds, aviary's and flight cages, i would hate to get complaints from neighbors and have to shut down or restrict my rehabbing it could mean hundreds of lives i wouldn't be able to save in the future, there are no other federally permitted rehabbers closer than an hour from me.
people are ignorant about piji's and they freak out if you feed them and they start ****ting on their house.
you all must know how it is

1 - 17 of 17 Posts