Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when a homer cock mates with a non-homer or non-racer hen just like a feral pigeon would they have homer chicks or racer chicks or that are already mixed with feral? feral pigeons have small nose and homers have big nose~ will the chicks have a smaller nose than a normal homer or just the same?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@spirit wings how about the colors~~ do you have any idea when my homer cock is a white grizzle and his pair a blue check with white flights~?

·
Registered
812 Posts
when a homer cock mates with a non-homer or non-racer hen just like a feral pigeon would they have homer chicks or racer chicks or that are already mixed with feral? feral pigeons have small nose and homers have big nose~ will the chicks have a smaller nose than a normal homer or just the same?
its a good idea if you breed to both homer parents. for sure you will get a homer babies. IMHO

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the kids will be blue grizzles (het). They may have various amounts of pied white.
@MaryOfExeter your name was becky right~? the name of my first pigeon the one that i was telling you was becky also^^ she was a tic eyed blue bar with white flights~ and the blue check hen with white flights that i paired with the white grizzle homer cock was her great grand daughter^^ keke by the way it sounds like you know what i wanted.. will it really have pied whites?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are there also pied grizzles? because pied and grizzle look like the same in some patterns~ or grizzles are genetically related to pied too~~?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They may have the traits of both birds, but they will no longer be race birds.
Dave
@Crazy Pete thanks for replying^^ the one that i was telling was a homer cock x domestic pigeon that is non-homer hen~ will there be separated homer and non homer chick (base on it's physical characteristics like body size and nose) or a mixed (a reduce on body size and nose size)~~?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
@MaryOfExeter your name was becky right~? the name of my first pigeon the one that i was telling you was becky also^^ she was a tic eyed blue bar with white flights~ and the blue check hen with white flights that i paired with the white grizzle homer cock was her great grand daughter^^ keke by the way it sounds like you know what i wanted.. will it really have pied whites?
That's pretty cool! :) And yes, they'll have some pied markings more than likely. There's a lot of genes that make birds pied/partially white. I don't know if white flight is dominant or recessive. They could be carrying other pied genes, in which you'll get grizzles with extra white :)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
They may resemble a homer more than a farel, and you may be able to train them out to 30 or 40 miles. They will never be fast, and if you go much farther you will lose them. If all you are after is a few griz birds that you can fly around the house, who cares if they race or not. enjoy
Dave

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I have a couple feral/homer mixes in the YB loft right now. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in training. In the meantime, I will continue training their mother. She's been up to 20 or 30 miles so far (can't remember which).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i'm not really into training~ i love all pigeons homers, racers or not^^ when they can crossbreed they are just like the same~ it's not the racing that brings happiness to me but to watch them around and dancing cooing with cute sounds and it's fun waiting for different chicks that they produce if what color they'll have~ the happiest time of the day that i can watch them is every morning and earlier especially at the dawn~ i also have domestic pigeons.., in our place all pigeons are kept as pets and there are no feral/street pigeons all are kept with value~ even when you saw some pigeons on the streets here it's not that they are just 'feral' and somebody must have owned them

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I'm way to competitive, I have homers I want to race, If I have show birds I would want to show them. It is refreshing to see some one that has birds just for the sake of having birds.
Dave

·
Registered
407 Posts
I got a picture of a homer/wild type cross. She had a black homer father and a blue bar wild type mother. She can home decently but as you can see she has qualities of both homers and ferals. She has a small head like a wild one, beak shape of her mother, body shape of her father, and the size of her father.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a picture of a homer/wild type cross. She had a black homer father and a blue bar wild type mother. She can home decently but as you can see she has qualities of both homers and ferals. She has a small head like a wild one, beak shape of her mother, body shape of her father, and the size of her father.
wow cool!! thanks for sharing your info and the picture^^ it's a homer with a nose of a domestic wild type pigeon~ does her mother have white flights too?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts