Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a rookie when it comes to pigeon, have only started a couple months.

so i have a homer...seems to be an older one....does not look sick because it is very active and flys around the loft, but when it coos, or when i hold it it sounds like a catfish...do you guys think it might be sick? is there anything i can possibly do? or is it just an old bird?

·
Registered
245 Posts
thao100801,

Do you mean the bird grunts like a catfish out of the water? If so there is a good chance that it is a hen. Cocks will sometimes grunt but usually not as often as hens, each bird is different though. Unless the bird starts sitting humched up on the perch or is having runny, smelly droppings, it sounds like the bird is healthy.

Ralph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its definitely a male...does everything like a male just that it sounds like a catfish from the water. i put it with my other male and they both fight for territory just like regular males does... so im not sure whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Some females fight just like a cock if she feels that that she can dominate the cock. Does this particular bird fan it's tail and bob it's head up and down when it sees a female? If it does then it's definitely a male from my experiences.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some females fight just like a cock if she feels that that she can dominate the cock. Does this particular bird fan it's tail and bob it's head up and down when it sees a female? If it does then it's definitely a male from my experiences.
yup it does that.

sounds like its throut or nose is clog up like when you are sick and have a lot of mucus so you sound funny.

is there any medication to clear it up or something i can try???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how old are you thao?
are you hmong?

male pigeons do that to woo hens so that they will mate.
its natures way for a bird to get a gf.
yes im hmong

i know , i have a pair ready to mate and i know how hey act and sound but this one sounds way different...the best i can describe it is that it sounds like a catfish....i will get a video of it later and post it on youtube.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Im a rookie when it comes to pigeon, have only started a couple months.

so i have a homer...seems to be an older one....does not look sick because it is very active and flys around the loft, but when it coos, or when i hold it it sounds like a catfish...do you guys think it might be sick? is there anything i can possibly do? or is it just an old bird?
I am at a loss, since I never heard a catfish coo or sing. Use to go fishing for them a long time ago, but I don't remember catfish sounds. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.