Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if pigeon breeds or types (which one is it? You know homers, rollers, etc) have different standards for conformation? Is that true? If so, what is the "ideal" homing conformation? Pictures? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have been to one real pigeon show. When I say real I refer to the judges. All were AU certified judges: some rolly polly guy, that guy with the Bekarts from Florida and that other guy from Utah. They know their stuff. the birds are judged two ways, those that fly and those that don't as far as homers go. Classes are young and old birds of both types. They surprisingly chose a similar bird to what I would have chose. Their top three were usually my top three. So all I can say is as far as homers, the good looking ones won. I did notice they liked a bird on the heavier side of lean. I put my futurity winner into the show for giggles and he got third in young raced birds out of about 50 birds. He was missing his 9th or 10th flight. They said he had a good chance if he would of had a full wing. He is on the home page of my webpage-link below. If you take the RPD there was an article about a show in one of the issues last month.

a link

http://www.silvio-co.com/pigeons/thomasM2-british.htm

The judges were Bill Desmarais, Freddy Rivera, and Brad Hogan. I think two are past presidents of the AU.

Randy

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, how does this one measure up?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm checking out the article right now and trying to find a bigger confo pics. That one is tiny. Edited to add: Good article. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
moonshadow

When these guys look a bird over they have it in their hand spreading the wing checking the keel, eye, feathers, wings etc. The process is quite in depth. My advice would be to find a show in your area that is run well and take your birds. Ask to handle the winner. That will be the best education.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts