Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I know nothing about homing pigeons and this is my story.

My wife and I have found the perfect home for us to purchase. The seller raises homing pigeons and on the back of the lot is a 2 story pigeon loft full of birds. My question is, when the seller moves...what should I expect of the pigeons? Will these birds come back? What does one do with a large loft - tear it down, burn it?

Thank you

Dave in Northern Indiana

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you do not want to keep pigeons you can tear the loft down.
You might from time to time ... even years from now get some of those birds return looking for that loft.
After awhile they will leave once they figure out the loft is no longer there.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
The owner should sell off his birds to others before the sale, what happened there? pigeons are really fun to keep, easier than an indoor pet!, you should try it, let the owner tell you all about the care of them, and you have this site here too, and that way they always have their home and not be a prisoner in someone elses loft. you can use dummy eggs to control the population.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Dave, where in Northern Indiana are you, we used to live in Northeastern Indiana, about 30 miles north of Ft Wayne, if you are not thinking of keeping the birds or the loft, could it be moved, maybe on a car trailer, if so, maybe we could work something out... give it some thought,

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hello

I know nothing about homing pigeons and this is my story.

My wife and I have found the perfect home for us to purchase. The seller raises homing pigeons and on the back of the lot is a 2 story pigeon loft full of birds. My question is, when the seller moves...what should I expect of the pigeons? Will these birds come back? What does one do with a large loft - tear it down, burn it?

Thank you

Dave in Northern Indiana
What is the owner planning on doing for the pigeons? Is he selling them? Taking them? Leaving them? Surely he doesn't plan to just leave them there, unless it's something that the two of you agree on. Otherwise, that's pretty irresponsible I think. :(

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The question of the loft. If the building is sound a good cleaning with bleach and a paint job could turn it into something you might need. If not tear it down, or see if winchester can use it. Also you might be able reuse to wood. That is a call only you can make. Last choice, see if you can keep some of the birds and join us in the love of flying.

Good Luck and congrats on your new home,
God Bless,
Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts