Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these two pigeons about a year ago. A male homing pigeon and a female homing pigeon. Theyre about three years old and i was hoping they would lay eggs so i could train thier babies but it doesnt look like they ever will lay eggs. So i was wondering if it was possible to train them to fly back to their loft here or if they will just fly back to where they were born?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bet you dont have a male and female, or you would have a bunch of birds by now! If they where young birds, maybe and maybe not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im pretty convinced that theyre the same gender. They fight over the food alot, idk if that tells you anything about which gender they could be. Ive seen the one i thought was a male do his dance that they do to get a mate but i havent seen the other one do it.
I really want to let them out but im afraid they arent going to come back.
And i have to build the in doors and out doors before i let them out. and it would be alot of effort to do so if they just fly off to their original birth places.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey Madison...
3 years is lotta time. They r of same sex or the hen is barren.
How far is their birth loft from where u have bought them? If they are trained homers they can home back to their birth loft. Pigeons are known to come back even after 5 years. But rehoming is a relative term. It depends. Since the pair is not breeding u can take ur chances of letting them out if u want to. get them used to the surroundings of ur loft first. Train them to come in.
If u don't wanna take chance,get a new hen as ur sure one of them is male. Breed them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sexing pigeon is really something most of us get confused in, maybe they are the same sex, or they just don't like each other .. how much time passed since you bring them??
did you try the cage separation methode?
I don't think they will come back b/c they are not born there and they don't have mates so it will be a little hard to rehome them .. anyway you can try and tell their original owner to give them back to you if they returned to him.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Would it be difficult to aquire a hen or two? Maybe the person you bought them from would take one of the birds back in exchange for a hen. I know there are plenty of guys with homers that would supply you with a hen.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Would it be difficult to aquire a hen or two? Maybe the person you bought them from would take one of the birds back in exchange for a hen. I know there are plenty of guys with homers that would supply you with a hen.

Good idea....................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts