Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i am a crew member on an offshore vessel serving in the North Sea and we often get homing pigeons onboard when they get lost in the fog.

We currently have one onboard and we have been feeding it and watering it as it refused to leave the safe haven of the ship.

All we have onboard to feed it is sesame seed, ground nuts bread etc, i have made sure it has access to fresh water everyday.

The chief mate had been complaining about the poo all over the deck so we had to make it a temp shelter.

We will be in port in Aberdeen in two weeks time so he will be getting picked up from there if we can contact the owner.

I would just like to hear what advice you have for its well being, he/she is very friendly and even took to sitting on some of the crew members knee as we have a smoke break.

Thank you in advance

Andy

·
Registered
245 Posts
aussiesk8,

It sounds like you are doing everthing that you can the right way. If you have to you can also feed it bits of bread. I don't know how to contact the national organizations in England. If you go to pigeons.org, this is one of the national organizations here in the U.S.A., and I'm sure that they would know someone who could help you eventually contact the owner. On behalf of dedicated pigeon racers in the world I want to thank you for your care and efforts. Please let me know what happens! Thank you very much!

Ralph

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
You can go here:
http://www.rpra.org/Default.aspx?tabid=595
and report the band.
It does sound like you are doing all you can do. Ask the captain to please be a little patient with the bird. If not for you, it would surely drown and I don't think he wants that? :(
And, again, from another pigeon racer........thanks for giving this little guy a free ride home.
PS: you could also give him a little rice (uncooked)....not A LOT, but some would be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cool ill check all that out guys, ill maybe try n get some pictures of him/her up at some point too if you are interested.

I also moved him into a better ventilated area of the ship, its also a bit quiter there so he/she isnt getting spooked with all the strange people going back and forwards lol.

He has a good appetite anyways, the beak is like a pnumatic drill in that box scooping all those seeds up haha

Thanks a million

Andy

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Cool ill check all that out guys, ill maybe try n get some pictures of him/her up at some point too if you are interested.

I also moved him into a better ventilated area of the ship, its also a bit quiter there so he/she isnt getting spooked with all the strange people going back and forwards lol.

He has a good appetite anyways, the beak is like a pnumatic drill in that box scooping all those seeds up haha

Thanks a million

Andy
We'd LOVE pictures!! That would be great!
Is the band a GB band? There may be somewhere else you have to go to report it. If you want to give us the band info, we can help with that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The band says GB on it and it is blue in colour, both his wee legs are banded. I was planning on changing the bottom of the box out tomorrow to keep it nice and clean so ill have someone give me a hand so i can have a good look at the band and get some pictures so keep your eyes peeled.

The crew hav'nt been as enthusiastic in helping but i think they are just so used to getting them onboard and see them as a bit of a nusiance however there are a couple of guys interested in making sure he sees dry land again.

Hopefully i wont need to be asking you guys for treating sea sick pigeons as im sure it may not be a common care issue haha. However, i can appreciate this little guy is someones pride and joy and would appreciate him coming home in good health.

He has certainly been on an interesting journey so far!

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
I obviously have no experience in the keeping of pigeons or birds of any kind for that matter but i have heard alot about pigeons being put to sleep when they are returned to their owners on account of them being no good for getting lost.

If this is the case what would you recommend i do when looking to return him to his owner, should i ask the owner what his intentions are once it is returned.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Andy,

You may but, remember this bird is someone else's property. You might be able to find out from the owner if he/she plans on keeping the bird, and if they don't, I'm sure someone in GB would be willing to give it a new home. Relocating the bird would have to be with the owners permission and then the owner would tranfer rights to the bird to the new owner. I think it's great that you are doing all this care for a tired, lost pigeon. Again thank you!

Ralph

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I obviously have no experience in the keeping of pigeons or birds of any kind for that matter but i have heard alot about pigeons being put to sleep when they are returned to their owners on account of them being no good for getting lost.

If this is the case what would you recommend i do when looking to return him to his owner, should i ask the owner what his intentions are once it is returned.
I won't tell you that this doesn't happen, but I'm pretty sure that if this bird can be gotten back to it's owner, he'll be fine. If nothing else, the owner will have a story to tell............LOL
All birds that don't make it home are not "dummies"..........there could have been bad weather or lots of other things that happened that we may never know about.
Best thing is to take it one step at a time........find the owner first, if you can and go from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll get in touch with the link provided above to alert the owner anyways, will hopefully be able to post the pictures tomorrow if the cursed connection is any good out here. I'll keep you all updates.

Shame im not at home more often as i wouldnt mind taking up the hobby

Thanks again for all your help

Andy (concerned surrogate father) haha

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Just saw your thread, Andy!!

Wow! What an experience! Don't think we have ever had THIS type of adventure before!

We can't tell you enough how much your concern and help means...not only to us, but, let's face it..."wee legs" the pigeon!

I must say, that is ONE smart pij to land on your ship - actually, he knew there would be a "friend" there!

I can't add to the advice already given...just saying THANKS! :D

AND, pics and updates are eagerly awaited!!

As you can see, we are seeds and nuts about pigeons!

Sending Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi with her gang: Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for taking care of him, this is a wonderful story. How lucky for him to have someone like you and your mates to watch out for him. Won't he have a story to tell when he gets home. :cool:

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I get the DEFINITE FEELING that this thread is gonna be one of our MOST POPULAR!!

We are ALL sitting on pins and needles, waiting to see what happens next!!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi/Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/Woe :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Wee legs" it is then lol, i was thinkin i should name him, cheers Mr. Squeaks

Found a good few bits of off cuts to make a better box for him tomorrow too.

As a trainee navigational officer i guess i can understand "wee legs" situation, it is alot easier than expected to loose your bearings in the fog. No puns intended but i guess we are just on the same boat :)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
The crew hav'nt been as enthusiastic in helping but i think they are just so used to getting them onboard and see them as a bit of a nusiance however there are a couple of guys interested in making sure he sees dry land again
Cheers
Hi AUSSIESK8,I always understood that sailors considered birds landing on their ship as good luck for the ship and crew. .GEORGE;)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Well that's a new one. I hope it doesn't get sea sick !:rolleyes:

If you have any problem and the owners don't want the bird back, which is sometimes the case, do come back to us and we'll try and help.

Thanks for looking after him in the meantime.

Janet

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.